R1200RS: Any things to look for, common faults etc.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jeznewsome

R1200RS: Any things to look for, common faults etc.

Postby jeznewsome » Sat May 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Hi.
Not been on here for a while, but figured you good folk may have some pearls of wisdom/knowledge about the R1200RS and anything specific to look for in 2nd hand bikes or problems with them in general. Looking for something for some touring and possibly as a general purpose, a year bike.
Thanks Jez

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Re: R1200RS: Any things to look for, common faults etc.

Postby Paul » Sun May 12, 2019 8:42 am

Hi Jez,

I owned an R1200RS for over 3 years and thoroughly enjoyed it. My recommendation would be to go for the SE spec, which in fairness, most of them seem to be. That gives you the quick shifter for up and down shifts as well as all three riding modes (road, rain & dynamic), and the fancy electronically controlled suspension.

A good resource for more information on the bike is https://www.r1200rsforum.com/

As far as I am aware, there are no fundamental issues with the bike which have caused numerous owners to have common problems. The engine, gearbox and shaft are well tried and tested in the other R bikes, and there is not much else to worry about that’s unique to the RS. If you are touring, the panniers are excellent, but the BMW top box is a little small. Be aware that if you go for a Givi top box instead, the standard Givi rack conversion might steal a bit of space from your pillion passenger, if you have one.

Good luck with your search and I’m sure you’ll enjoy the bike when you find one.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun May 12, 2019 5:53 pm

Wait for Paul to come along - he covered a fair few miles on his RS
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Mon May 13, 2019 6:12 am

Thanks.

I have found one locally which is not the SE spec but appears to have most of the SE toys added (less the DRL and the quickshifter).

I'll be taking if for a test ride on Saturday, then maybe one with the QS as a back to back check.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon May 13, 2019 12:32 pm

I tried one with the QS and didn't like it but that was over a very short test ride. Others have liked it but I'm not convinced it's needed on a boxer engine. My own personal view but it looks like the next GS I'll buy will have it unless I go for a lower spec and spec it up to what I want costing more than the higher specced bike!!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Paul

Postby Paul » Mon May 13, 2019 5:12 pm

Just a quick note on the quick shifter: going from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is, more often than not, quite lumpy with the quick shifter, but going up the rest of the gears and coming down the box is usually quick and smoother than you would do with the clutch, 9 times out of 10. Remember the throttle must be closed for down shifts, and the QS will give the engine a short blip to match the revs for you.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue May 14, 2019 5:17 am

dave the german wrote:Wait for Paul to come along - he covered a fair few miles on his RS

Just realised Paul had come along - DOH :oops:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Been a while as I never took the test ride.......there was a s/w update that I hoped would help my current bike's suspension become acceptable. But though better it is still crude and unable to keep the rear wheel in contact with the road properly under acceleration over poor surfaces.

So I have put a deposit on an RS with a confirmatory ride set up for next Saturday. This one has the SE toys less the GPS Prep (which is no problem as my Garmin wouldn't work with the whizz wheel thing anyway) and lacking Cruise (but they will add it prior to sale for £210).

It's a 15 plate bike with a little over 5k miles on it. Very tidy with full luggage (and yes the top case is pretty small!)

One query......I was able to start it up and on initial start up there was a brief puff of smoke..... 'normal' says the salesman! Is it?

Whilst it'll come with 2 years warranty I don't want an oil burner.

Paul

Postby Paul » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Can't really comment on the puff of smoke situation, since I was normally looking in the opposite direction when starting the engine astride the bike. Good luck with your new bike, I'm sure you will love it.

Cheers,

Paul

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:05 pm

[quote="jeznewsome"]

One query......I was able to start it up and on initial start up there was a brief puff of smoke.

If its been sitting around a showroom on side stand you'll get a "puff of smoke" if it wasn't cooled down on centerstand after run. :roll:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:37 am

ta

Return to “Boxertech”