HID and LED bulbs.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Heyho

HID and LED bulbs.

Postby Heyho » Mon May 20, 2019 5:04 pm

What do people tend to run these days?

In the interests of experimentation I bought a couple of sets of LED bulbs from ebay - the nighteye fan cooled jobbies.

The H7 in the main beam is awesome - really lights up the road, but the H1 in the dip is not so impressive. No real intensity, and doesn't seem very "wide" - ie it seems to cut off at the edges, although the rest of the beam pattern is very crisp, with a well defined cut and kick.

I guess I'd be better off with a HID setup in the dip - as usual the problem is that there is too much choice. I've had cheap HIDs from ebay before for cars and they've been great, but wondered if any are preferred these days?

Phil K

Re: HID and LED bulbs.

Postby Phil K » Thu May 23, 2019 1:53 pm

Fitting HID is a great result, but is now an MOT fail. Doh

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

simon

Postby simon » Thu May 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Phil K wrote:Fitting HID is a great result, but is now an MOT fail

... :roll:
Was this a particularly picky tester do you think? I never had an issue last time i had a HID. (He certainly doesn't mind the full Lasers..)
I was reading about this.. like "why aren't LEDs legal"..
Apparently because when the rule book was written (1989 ish) they weren't around.. and the book hasn't been updated.
OK you say, but modern cars (e.g. from EU) have LEDs.. but apparently if they fail you can't (not meant to) buy replacement bulbs.. need to get the whole lamp!
The whole lamps are "deemed proper" only with the type of bulbs used when homologation (or whatever) was originally done..
I keep going into Halfrods to see if they are legal and keep asking why not :twisted:

Mind you, when i bought this bike the seller asked if i wanted the HID for an extra £50ish... i said no ta.. it's not like i do much night riding these days so an ordinary one is enough.
Mind you (2).. the Gov et al is saying we should be energy efficient and replace tungsten with low energy LED in wor hooses ...
Simon, now with a third
Yellow '98 R1100S
(..a bit more gimpy tho' [smilie=crutch.gif])

Chout1963

Postby Chout1963 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Look here clear glass LED headlights: https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/ ... ights.html

Return to “Boxertech”