Street fighter bars R1200S

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

Street fighter bars R1200S

Postby f90x » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:57 am

I really don’t want to sell the 12 but extended trips through Europe are starting to get uncomfortable. I’m going to get an Airhawk seat but am also now seriously considering a handlebar conversion. I’ve seen a few done in the past (I’d like the Wunderlich but unobtainable now) so shall probably go for the LSL kit with a Renthal low rise bar. I already have the Helibars bar risers. Does anyone have any experience of these and any potential bar/fairing clash?

Any info greatfully received
Cheers
Steve
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

popsky

Re: Street fighter bars R1200S

Postby popsky » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:36 am

Hi Steve
When I was looking at the superbike bar conversion this was recommended by a German trixster

https://acschnitzer.shop/AC-Schnitzer-S ... r-R-1200-S

This was his pm reply

Hi Phil,

that was one of the first conversions I did when I acquired my 12S. I find it very comfortable but I must say I am not so tall (only 1.72 m) and my arms are not so long. I can do 400 kms without probs. I can only recommend this conversion. My conversion is from german company AC Schnitzer.

But I have a buddy who is about 1.90m tall with longer arms and he says he is absolutely fine with the original set-up. Hence it depends only on your statue.

Brgds
Oliver
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:56 am

Hey Phil, I remember when you were looking. Did you ever do it? The AC kit is quite a lot more cash than the LSL (although nicer I guess). I’m 1.7m and the reach is fine with the Helibars but I tend to lean into my tank bag when it’s on. I’m just trying to lose the weight on my wrists. I’ve spent the last 2.5 years riding the REX and the Guzzi and have got used to a more upright position. I was going take the Guzzi to italy this year but having done a couple of big days on it recently, I realise that it’s going to be too uncomfortable so am looking to take the 12 instead but want to sort the bars first.
Last edited by f90x on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:05 am

I stuck with the helipads Steve, I just can’t seem to get on with upright riding positions, I find in doing motorway speeds my wrists are not too bad, but it’s the posteria that gets painful especially when pootling along and I’ve tried every conceivable seat option, the Corbin has lasted longest but it’s like sitting on a plank. The other thing to consider is by raising your body will you make the seat more uncomfortable as you’d be sitting more on your coccyx? But let’s not go there lol. We rode back from Heimbach in the German Eiffel last summer to home over 520 miles so I spose I can’t complain too much.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:47 am

Yeah, my butt definitely can’t do the distance these days, hence the Airhawk. The BM actually did me damage on my last trip and I recognise that sitting more upright shall exacerbate the situation but I am am very much preferring the upright bars these days. I’m considering a GS/Multistrada or R1200R but I’m off in eight weeks and don’t have the time to guarantee the sale of the REX and Guzzi so am looking to get the 12S ‘tour ready’ before I leave. Wish me luck!
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:25 pm

GOOD LUCK :mrgreen:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Thanks ...
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:11 pm

I feel your pain, just back from 2480 miles from Nottingham to Pyrenees and back. Buttock bruises are still present. Got to say that the seat was the only real problem with the riding position for me although I think where the double bubble screen removes some wind blast, it also takes away the support that the wind provides thus making the wrists a bit tired now and again. Air Hawke definitely recommended! Still get numb fingers but always have done with the vibes. Good luck with the trip
10 KTM RC8

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:18 am

Humbug wrote:I feel your pain, just back from 2480 miles from Nottingham to Pyrenees and back. Buttock bruises are still present. Got to say that the seat was the only real problem with the riding position for me although I think where the double bubble screen removes some wind blast, it also takes away the support that the wind provides thus making the wrists a bit tired now and again. Air Hawke definitely recommended! Still get numb fingers but always have done with the vibes. Good luck with the trip

Thanks. Yeah I guess there’s not much of me and my butt bones really take the brunt of it. The wrist thing is still within the realms of acceptability but I just prefer being more upright these days. I’ve orderd an Airhawk so I’ll have to see how I get on with it. I’ve been off the 12S for so long that the first time I took it out recently I did 75 miles and literally couldn’t walk when I got off it. Agony. I used to be able to do 400.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:44 pm

I can heartily recommend an R1250GS as the ultimate solution to your problem [smilie=whistle.gif]

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Boxertech”