battery booster/ starter

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

battery booster/ starter

Postby dave the german » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:36 am

Having problems with the battery on my car (it's not quite 3 years old so hoping to get it changed under warranty). I can't get it booked in for 2 weeks. Can anyone recommend one of those small booster packs? bit of a minefield trying to find a reputable brand. Needs to produce enough power to turn over a 1.5 diesel (although would prefer something with a bit more oomph for bigger engines)
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

milleplod

Re: battery booster/ starter

Postby milleplod » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:47 pm

Well, I bought a no-name brand one off eBay last year for around £15. I've yet to suffer a flat battery on my RT, but a mate of mine usually has a couple of cars on his drive that he's in the process of doing up, so he was press-ganged into a test. We purposely flattened the battery on a Hyundai i40 1.6 diesel, as in completely flat, dead, zilch. I then connected the device with the substantial crocodile clips supplied, turned the key....boom, the car fired up immediately. We then re-flattened the battery......it started it again. It started it 5 times before the LEDs on it had dropped to 3 greens, the point at which the instructions say it shouldn't be used for starting as it could be damaged in so doing. It took about 3 hours to recharge it fully. I carry it on the bike all the time - it also charges phones and the like.

So, perhaps don't get too hung up on a 'reputable' one, which can cost a fair bit, if it's only for occasional use?

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:06 am

thanks for that - ended up getting one a bit more expensive but can always take it back if it doesn't live up to expectations. Really disappointed with the life span of the battery though
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Heyho

Postby Heyho » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Not a Renault/Nissan perchance?

Also, regarding those boost starters, theres a big difference between starting a car with a flat battery and a knackered one.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 am

I keep waiting for my car battery to Die.

Its now 9 years old - 1.6 Diesel Citroen C5 - As I understand it what tends to happen with batteries nowadays is that they will be fine one day and dead the next is this what everyone else has experienced lately? or do they still go downhill gradually?
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:25 pm

Mine had died over the 2 weeks I was on holiday. Jump started OK and now it won't hold its charge for more than a day or so. The Hilka booster pack I bought from Screwfix failed - the unit wouldn't charge up after I had purposely flattened the battery to try the booster out this morning!!!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Heyho

Postby Heyho » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:54 pm

Batteries do still go downhill slowly, but some also suffer internal shorts and open circuits.

Thing is with modern cars, they generally start on the button, so you don't usually know they've failed until they have nothing left to give, whereas in the good old days when you had to crank a bit longer you'd have more of an idea the battery was on its way out.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Heyho wrote:Not a Renault/Nissan perchance?

Also, regarding those boost starters, theres a big difference between starting a car with a flat battery and a knackered one.

Yep, Nissan Juke. I've read that the OEM (Fiamm) were noted for failing
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:46 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:I keep waiting for my car battery to Die.

Its now 9 years old - 1.6 Diesel Citroen C5 - As I understand it what tends to happen with batteries nowadays is that they will be fine one day and dead the next is this what everyone else has experienced lately? or do they still go downhill gradually?

Mine seemed gradual for a few days then fell off a cliff. Problem is I can't get it into Nissan until 9th August - will be using the bike for work most days but there's the odd occasion when I just cannot be ar$ed to get the bike out at 3.30 in the morning
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Heyho

Postby Heyho » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:44 pm

dave the german wrote:
Heyho wrote:Not a Renault/Nissan perchance?

Yep, Nissan Juke. I've read that the OEM (Fiamm) were noted for failing

Yes, quite common, but it's not a problem exclusive to that manufacturer.

Stop/start systems necessitate the use of either AGM or EFB batteries. EFB in particular seem to be the most likely to fail. I've seen them fail within warranty on Nissan, Honda and VW to name but a few!

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 pm

Heyho wrote:Batteries do still go downhill slowly, but some also suffer internal shorts and open circuits.

Thing is with modern cars, they generally start on the button, so you don't usually know they've failed until they have nothing left to give, whereas in the good old days when you had to crank a bit longer you'd have more of an idea the battery was on its way out.

Reminded me of my second car, an MG Magnette Varitone, with a knackered battery. Too young and stupid/broke to replace the battery, but kept the crank handle on the front passengers seat. Fortunately, it always started first or second swing on the handle, but stalling at a junction/traffic lights, meant jumping out with handle to restart it. Always reversed up my father's drive so I could bump start it in the mornings.

I only replaced to battery (second hand one from a scrap yard) when I wanted to sell the car.

Return to “Boxertech”