Definitive list of R12S worthwhile mods

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Sharky

Definitive list of R12S worthwhile mods

Postby Sharky » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:57 pm

So
I have used the search function and as with every other forum I’ve been involved with there are a million threads on what to do.
As a new R1200S owner what are the best performance and handling mods? .....: THE $1M question

Not so bothered about the bling pretty stuff, but the things that improve the way it goes.
So...
Chassis
Wheels - think (hope) I’m sorted with the BST’s
Suspension - thinking Nitron, value for money and very very good product with lots of adjustability - what else???
Torque arm-???
A frame - RT A frame AND torque arm change or only one ??
Rearsets - ???
Tyres - oooh sorry about asking that question but ???

Brakes (no ABS)
Master cylinder - Brembo RCS??? Or what works??
Discs- ???
Pads -??!
Calipers- ??

Engine
Exhaust down pipes - ??
Silencer - ??
Ignition - ?? (Power commander Bazazz etc )
Fueling - (hp2 intakes) ????
Quickshifter - ???
Air filter -??

Other stuff ??
QA throttle ??

So, I will road ride, track day the bike and if it’s quick enough maybe return to racing again.

Sorry I know I’m trying to bring the whole forum into 1 post but.... nothing ventured :D :D

Grip Fast

Re: Definitive list of R12S worthwhile mods

Postby Grip Fast » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 am

Sorry, I can't help you. I have an R12S with the 'sports' upgrade, but it's been kept standard apart from a bling carbon hugger that was on it when I bought it nearly 8 years ago. It's just my personal preference to keep my bikes relatively unmodified.

I hope you get the answers you seek from someone on here, and I also hope you enjoy your R12S.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:51 am

Mine is pretty much standard as will albeit with the sportpack so Ohlins suspension front and rear. Had an interesting conversation with Colin at 100% Suspension regarding the Ohlins which I thought might have been a cheap mass production with cut down specs for the 12S. When he went as far as offering to buy my Ohlins for the price of some new Nitrons I knew I was wrong. Apparently full spec kit and difficult to improve upon if set up properly so I would recommend the Ohlins. I also wonder what development suspension companies would commit to on the telelever system or such a niche bike as the 12S so once again would think something developed specifically for the bike by Ohlins might be a good bet. God, sounding like a salesman now so will say apart from suspension and the wheels, unless you are racing, will the cost be justified? You would know this more than me and I've got to say, your feedback on what works and doesn't will be invaluable to us owners.On wheels, there is a lot of discussion on the merits or not of the 6" rear wheel included in the sportpack. Some say the 5.5" makes for quicker steering and sharper handling but never having the narrower wheel can't comment on this although I am sure some on here can as most things have been tried before.
Good luck with what you choose to do and I look forward to updates, particularly the wheels.
10 KTM RC8

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:54 pm

Dont muck around, just buy my HP2 S :wink:

IMG_7811 2.JPG
IMG_7811 2.JPG (132.52 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:47 am

Performance-wise...….……………..

[a) Carbon Fibre wheels[/b] (with the caveat that new - they might be seen as a bit of an indulgence)
New shocks (or at least - rear). There is an exhaustive thread (sticky?) listing all shock options. Nitron appear to offer good value. Check also price of Maxton, who seem to excel at shocks for road-race)
c) Aftermarket discs/pads. I'm a fan of Galfer wavy discs/pads.

That's about all I would bother with for performance.
Aesthetically

c) Rear hugger
d) Rear cans, or full exhaust (if second hand/cheap enough to justify)

That's about all I would bother with, and would bring out the best in what is a great road-bike to begin with.

Or - Go full-bifter and get an HP2s

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxertech”