Final drive change

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

MickB

Final drive change

Postby MickB » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:22 pm

AS a change from the Corona virus I'd like to know if anyone has ever swapped the final drive on a 12 s ratio 33/12 for one from an RT ratio 34/11.
I used mine for a trip to the Ukraine last year and found it all a bit busy for my taste. I realise there will be some loss of acceleration but am not really bothered by that. Various readings of other sites including a race team suggest that this is a good thing e.g. one gear lower on a given stretch of road, if you're bothered longer tank range, higher top speed(marginal) and a lower revs at cruising speed on the dreaded motor ways. Yes the seat was painful at times.

Whilst I'm scribbling to you all, is there an appreciable benefit from de cating an akro exhaust. It is located in the last section of pipe before the silencer. The pipe is stainless and the silencer titanium.

Last question if anyone is still awake, the front timing cover is looking pretty second hand. I realise I can repaint it in situ, but am wondering what if any new parts are required if I used my soon to be enforced home stay to remove it completely and get it powder coated?

I look forward to you advice/comments

dave the german

Re: Final drive change

Postby dave the german » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:43 pm

The genuine Akro de cat pipe is rarer than rocking horse poo. Re sealing the front cover can be a pain unless it’s done correctly and with the core sealant. I’ve been reliably informed that you put the sealant on the cover and finger tighten the bolts and leave for an hour or so before the final tighten
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:45 pm

MickB wrote:AS a change from the Corona virus I'd like to know if anyone has ever swapped the final drive on a 12 s ratio 33/12 for one from an RT ratio 34/11.
I used mine for a trip to the Ukraine last year and found it all a bit busy for my taste. I realise there will be some loss of acceleration but am not really bothered by that. Various readings of other sites including a race team suggest that this is a good thing e.g. one gear lower on a given stretch of road, if you're bothered longer tank range, higher top speed(marginal) and a lower revs at cruising speed on the dreaded motor ways. Yes the seat was painful at times.

Whilst I'm scribbling to you all, is there an appreciable benefit from de cating an akro exhaust. It is located in the last section of pipe before the silencer. The pipe is stainless and the silencer titanium.

Last question if anyone is still awake, the front timing cover is looking pretty second hand. I realise I can repaint it in situ, but am wondering what if any new parts are required if I used my soon to be enforced home stay to remove it completely and get it powder coated?

I look forward to you advice/comments

Something not right in your ratios here? Going from 33/12 (2.75:1) to 34/11 (3.09:1) on the final drive is down-gearing. You get more acceleration, not so good fuel mileage, higher revs for the road speed in any given gear and a lower top speed, the opposite of what you're saying.

MickB

Postby MickB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:02 pm

:oops: 34/13 is what I should have typed. You are of course , absolutely correct in what you say. It is the exact opposite of what I'm thinking about.

Return to “Boxertech”