These round black things everyone waarts on about

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

Great Britain
boxerscott
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: scottish borders
Contact:

These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby boxerscott » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 pm

Err, Just realised that my racer has spokey wheels and possibly inner tubes... feeling a little bit sick in my mouth, i thought the wheels looked a bit ballooney and possibly this is the reason why i can not get my knee down on the carter bar esses? can i take the tubes out and put them round things on that i had on my Duc??

Feeling Robbed off. It said racer in the title?

Chris :(
You`ll never watch your life slide out of view? then drink and dance and .... :)

User avatar Tokelau
popsky
Member
Posts: 1612
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Minehead Somerset

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby popsky » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:33 am

It is possible to fit a band to the inside if the rim to fit tubeless tyres to effectively seal it, can’t remember the name of it but Ryan from this parish did it successfully on his GS when he put R9T spoked wheels on. Give him a pm I’m sure he’d help out Chris :lol:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Oberautobahnjäger…………

User avatar Wales
slparry
Moderator
Posts: 6410
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby slparry » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:41 pm

The spokes are why I'd have an alloy wheel Racer if I was spending my pennies on one, can never understand why they didn't fit the GS type rims with spokes on the outside of the rim. The r9t scrambler has them but of course it has a 19" front wheel not the 17" of the racer
--
Steve Parry
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Great Britain
boxerscott
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: scottish borders
Contact:

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby boxerscott » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:00 pm

I knew the first r9t models had tubes. I thought things had moved on since then. Thanks Phil for the heads up on tape solution, I guess i will just have to ride with what is until i can find some "yorkshireman" supercorsas.. plus :wink:
You`ll never watch your life slide out of view? then drink and dance and .... :)

User avatar Great Britain
BoxerCup R
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:02 am

boxerscott wrote: i thought the wheels looked a bit ballooney and possibly this is the reason why i can not get my knee down on the carter bar esses

Chris :(


Come on Chris, try a bit harder :wink: and which essential journey was this on please :lol: ‘missing riding’ :|
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Great Britain
boxerscott
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: scottish borders
Contact:

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby boxerscott » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:28 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:
boxerscott wrote: i thought the wheels looked a bit ballooney and possibly this is the reason why i can not get my knee down on the carter bar esses

Chris :(


Come on Chris, try a bit harder :wink: and which essential journey was this on please :lol: ‘missing riding’ :|
:P

Chris
You`ll never watch your life slide out of view? then drink and dance and .... :)

User avatar England
Ryan
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:39 pm
Location: Minehead

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby Ryan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:00 am

Hi Chris I used a kit called outex fairly reasonably priced easy to do but quite time consuming to fit. I also found some useful tips on other ways to seal spoked wheels on YouTube
The kit I used on r9t wheels is size specific for them,
Opens up a lot more options for tyre choice
PM’d my number if you need help
Good luck Ryan
R1200GS (R1200S Wannabe)

Great Britain
boxerscott
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: scottish borders
Contact:

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby boxerscott » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:06 pm

Ryan wrote:Hi Chris I used a kit called outex fairly reasonably priced easy to do but quite time consuming to fit. I also found some useful tips on other ways to seal spoked wheels on YouTube
The kit I used on r9t wheels is size specific for them,
Opens up a lot more options for tyre choice
PM’d my number if you need help
Good luck Ryan
Cheers Ryan, I have done a bit of googling on this .....found 28 pages on this subject since 2014 on a 9t owners forum! My confusion was aroused noticing that the source tyres are tubeless on tubeless rims but fitted with traditional spokes and inner tube. I am of the thinking that i will just fit suitable tubeless tyres of my choice with inner tube. The spoke wheels are period for the bike but why in 2018 they still used the traditional method of attaching them to the rim seems to be the question that everyone was asking. I`ll live with it. An inconvenient puncture will be a pita especially with no centre stand.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
You`ll never watch your life slide out of view? then drink and dance and .... :)

User avatar England
Al
Member
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am
Location: Devon

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby Al » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:06 pm

Chris, Mark Hooten at Cymarc produces a small roadside/workshop jack that fits in a rucksack/tailback for the r9T that allows rear wheel removal.

Al.
Shiny Silver/Grey BMW R1200GS
Blue Yamaha XT660X
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster.
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als)

Great Britain
boxerscott
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: scottish borders
Contact:

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby boxerscott » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:32 pm

Al wrote:Chris, Mark Hooten at Cymarc produces a small roadside/workshop jack that fits in a rucksack/tailback for the r9T that allows rear wheel removal.

Al.
Thanks Al, that`s interesting.

Chris
You`ll never watch your life slide out of view? then drink and dance and .... :)

Great Britain
boxerscott
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: scottish borders
Contact:

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby boxerscott » Sun May 24, 2020 11:05 am

boxerscott wrote:
Ryan wrote:Hi Chris I used a kit called outex fairly reasonably priced easy to do but quite time consuming to fit. I also found some useful tips on other ways to seal spoked wheels on YouTube
The kit I used on r9t wheels is size specific for them,
Opens up a lot more options for tyre choice
PM’d my number if you need help
Good luck Ryan
Cheers Ryan, I have done a bit of googling on this .....found 28 pages on this subject since 2014 on a 9t owners forum! My confusion was aroused noticing that the source tyres are tubeless on tubeless rims but fitted with traditional spokes and inner tube. I am of the thinking that i will just fit suitable tubeless tyres of my choice with inner tube. The spoke wheels are period for the bike but why in 2018 they still used the traditional method of attaching them to the rim seems to be the question that everyone was asking. I`ll live with it. An inconvenient puncture will be a pita especially with no centre stand.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
So boredom got the better of me and I decided to do a Stickum job on the front wheel. I simply degreased the spoke ends and inner rim and applied some Sika marine adhesive and sealant forming a domed cap on each spoke end. 700ml was more than enough and cost £14. I bought an inexpensive right angled valve and the job looks sound. I am putting a tyre on today so hopefully i am looking forward to a successful air pressure test.

If it fails i ain`t lost much and the tube can go back in.

Chris
You`ll never watch your life slide out of view? then drink and dance and .... :)

User avatar Great Britain
BoxerCup R
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun May 24, 2020 12:47 pm

Fingers crossed your handy work works Chris :wink:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Great Britain
boxerscott
Posts: 3488
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:07 pm
Location: scottish borders
Contact:

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby boxerscott » Sun May 24, 2020 4:38 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:Fingers crossed your handy work works Chris :wink:
Aye john, must admit they were crossed but.... inflated tyre to 50psi, filled wheelbarrow with water, patiently rotated the wheel through 360 degrees with at least 10 spokes submerged at any one time and my handiwork looks very good. No bubbles. The stuff used was an adhesive as well as sealant. Having watched quite a few you tube how to`s on this I thought the bandage application was inferior as a stand alone method and totally unnecessary if used with a sealant adhesive. Important to get the spoke nuts and inner wheel surface clean and free from grease. As a bonus I have put the tyre on that I removed from my R1200r which would not have given me the mileage on our last trip to Spain but will give me 1800 dicking about miles for the racer. So a proper poor boys job well executed.

:lol:

Chris
You`ll never watch your life slide out of view? then drink and dance and .... :)

User avatar Great Britain
BoxerCup R
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:16 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon May 25, 2020 4:34 am

Excellent stuff and result there Chris :wink:
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

England
SP250
Posts: 848
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: North Shropshire

Re: These round black things everyone waarts on about

Postby SP250 » Mon May 25, 2020 10:30 am

I like your cheap as chips solution Chris.

But I would be very careful - as once the bike is rolling the centrifugal force of the wheel spinning will tend to lift the blobs of sealant.
It only takes one to leak slightly and you've got an interesting situation barrelling into a corner with a flat front.
If you can also put a strong "Rim Tape" band over the sealant to help keep them attached that may help enough.
Good luck with it, but me - I'd just use the tubeless tyre with a tube.
John M


Return to “Boxertech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests