Servo ABS brakes - deal breaker?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Yankee Lima

Servo ABS brakes - deal breaker?

Postby Yankee Lima » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:20 pm

I have been advised that the Servo ABS brakes on the 1100s are a complete nightmare and bikes with these are best avoided. Stories of sudden loss of brakes with associated horrors abound.

Is this the case? I have been offered a really nice condition 1100s but it has servo brakes.

Background to this is that I’m considering getting a R1100s and trying to do some due diligence. The bike would be a second bike and a ‘classic’ for dry day use only.

IDEALLY - I would like a Mamola Boxer cup (which I believe didn’t have abs) but these are few and far between. AND Critically when I do see one I’m unsure how to tell if it’s a genuine one or a look a like.

Some pointers on either or both aspects would be much appreciate. I’ve got a steep learning curve I know.
Thanks
YL

SP250

Re: Servo ABS brakes - deal breaker?

Postby SP250 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:32 am

If its a really nice bike with full service history etc., at a good price, then may be worth getting it.
You can always remove the ABS and put new brake lines direct to the calipers if you want to.
John M

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:33 pm

Not sure how to tell the difference between a Randy replica replica but sure there'll be plenty here that can advise you. Think the RWB Boxercup is easier to spot
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:34 am

Hi YL,

For what it’s worth, I ran an ABS (servo) R1100s for about 5 years with no problems, about 40k on it.

A few years back, met a chap with an old BMW Rockstar with servo ABS, at the time the bike would have been getting on to 13 years old. Got chatting and the servo topic came up and he said its all a matter of maintenance according to the guy that services his bike for him, change the fluid once a year to stop water getting in. Never had a problem. If you think about it, every car has a servo and how often do they break?

Perhaps someone else can confirm but I’m sure my manual said to use the back brake really hard to get the unit to work once in a while, at a slow speed and somewhere safe off course!

Hope that helps

Yankee Lima

Postby Yankee Lima » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:41 am

Thanks for your help and advice. I feel a bit more informed now.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Topcat wrote:Hi YL,

If you think about it, every car has a servo and how often do they break?

True but (1) afaik they're not electrically operated , (most were vacuum operated in the past and afaik some are now mechanical / hydraulic driven off the powersteering pump and (2) They were a solution to a problem that didn't exist... Power assistance wasn't and isn't required given that the bikes brake perfectly with the servos removed.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxertech”