365mm torque arm

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

User avatar England
stevesilver
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 pm
Location: Bromley

365mm torque arm

Postby stevesilver » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:29 am

I've searched the forum and can't see if this has been asked before. I apologise if it has.

As the GS 365mm torque arm is as rare as rocking horse shit, is there any reason why the standard R1100S 385mm arm cannot be shortened? What forces are applied to the arm? Any suggestions people? There are loads of cheap 385mm arms around......

Great Britain
dave the german
Member
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am
Location: North East

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby dave the german » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm not sure if he still gets on the forum but Beachcomber did produce an adjustable torque arm (called the Ramstrut) and not sure of the price but might be worth pinging him
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

England
SP250
Posts: 843
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: North Shropshire

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby SP250 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:34 am

Many more GS's were made than 1100S's, so I would have thought that the GS arm would be more available.
A few companies besides beachcomber produce adjustable ones though - eg. Wunderlich.
John M

Great Britain
Humbug
Member
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby Humbug » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:08 pm

I would think that by the name there may be significant forces as the rear bevel housing tries to rise up the wheel under acceleration. The longer arm would possibly work but would raise the seat height as it rotates the housing down i think
'06 R1200S

Great Britain
dave the german
Member
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am
Location: North East

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby dave the german » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:40 pm

Humbug wrote:I would think that by the name there may be significant forces as the rear bevel housing tries to rise up the wheel under acceleration. The longer arm would possibly work but would raise the seat height as it rotates the housing down i think


He's wanting to shorten the arm (I think)
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

User avatar England
stevesilver
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 pm
Location: Bromley

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby stevesilver » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:38 pm

I want to increase ride height, I have a spare std arm, just wondered if anyone had cut one down?

I'm on a budget so can't afford adjustable version. Am going to bike auto jumble at week end, perhaps mt luck will be in there.....

Thanks for the tips as usual people

User avatar England
Al
Member
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am
Location: Devon

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby Al » Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm

GS torque arm for sale on eBay £28 from Latvia.

Al.
Shiny Silver/Grey BMW R1200GS
Blue Yamaha XT660X
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster.
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als)

Great Britain
Humbug
Member
Posts: 515
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby Humbug » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:36 am

dave the german wrote:
Humbug wrote:I would think that by the name there may be significant forces as the rear bevel housing tries to rise up the wheel under acceleration. The longer arm would possibly work but would raise the seat height as it rotates the housing down i think


He's wanting to shorten the arm (I think)


Thats what I thought, I think that the forces would be too great to cut one down so thought it may be possible to fit the longer one if you didn't mind the increased seat height.
'06 R1200S

Great Britain
dave the german
Member
Posts: 3384
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am
Location: North East

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby dave the german » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:36 am

Humbug wrote:
dave the german wrote:
Humbug wrote:I would think that by the name there may be significant forces as the rear bevel housing tries to rise up the wheel under acceleration. The longer arm would possibly work but would raise the seat height as it rotates the housing down i think


He's wanting to shorten the arm (I think)


Thats what I thought, I think that the forces would be too great to cut one down so thought it may be possible to fit the longer one if you didn't mind the increased seat height.

Ah right, see what you mean. I agree, the original isn't really that substantial to cut down
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

User avatar England
stevesilver
Posts: 221
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:18 pm
Location: Bromley

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby stevesilver » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:32 am

Al wrote:GS torque arm for sale on eBay £28 from Latvia.

Al.


Part no. 33172314179
Silver rod
L=365MM

From:08/15/1993To:-Weight:0.607 kgPrice:$140.68
Part 33172314179 was found on the following vehicles:

259 (R 850 GS, R 1100 GS)   (04/1993 — 07/2006)
R21 (R 1150 GS)   (09/1998 — 11/2003)
R21 (R 1150 GS Adventure)   (07/2001 — 09/2005)
259 (R 1100 S, R 1100 RS)   (12/1996 — 07/2005)

Have seen 1 on ebay from France, the 1200gs has a 380mm arm.

Am going auto jumble at weekend so maybe one there, if not will step up search world wide :-)

Thanks all

England
SP250
Posts: 843
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:01 pm
Location: North Shropshire

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby SP250 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:42 am

Just checked and James Sherlock is breaking 8 or 10 1100 GS and 1150 GS's right now - you should be able to persuade him to sell you one, just check the bushings are ok before you fit it.
John M

User avatar England
Al
Member
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:56 am
Location: Devon

Re: 365mm torque arm

Postby Al » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:31 am

Sent you a pm, guy on the GS forum said motorworks have two for sale on the website.

Al.
Shiny Silver/Grey BMW R1200GS
Blue Yamaha XT660X
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster.
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als)


Return to “Boxertech”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests