R11S - Mirror Arms/Stems - Paint Failing

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dmmsta

R11S - Mirror Arms/Stems - Paint Failing

Postby dmmsta » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:12 am

One of the things I want to get sorted is the mirror arms/stems.

Paint/powder coat is starting to fail, so wondering what others have used here.
Mirror Arms.jpg
Mirror Arms.jpg (915.41 KiB) Viewed 4424 times

I did find a post about similar, that had an image/link to something, but that has disappeared, so don't know what was suggested, and people involved haven't been active on here in years.

Also - while on the subject - I read that these arms are sprung loaded...is that correct?
New to BMW's & Boxer Engines
2003 R1100S (Silver / Yellow) - Weekender
2014 XT1200Z (White / Black) - Commuter

Deepest Darkest Kent (UK)

dave the german

Re: R11S - Mirror Arms/Stems - Paint Failing

Postby dave the german » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:40 pm

The arms aren't sprung loaded. there's a locating "washer" inside which keeps them in place along with friction . One of mine has gone the same way. The only explanation I can give is the paint has come off when I have folded the mirrors in to put it in the garage - I haven't much space to manoeuvre. Notsure what to do with mine. They are after market for the RWB Boxercup so I may just put the originals back on. I've thought about carbon hydro graphics but not entirely sure that will work
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

dmmsta

Postby dmmsta » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Thanks Dave,

I'm tempted to leave as is, and then get them sand-blasted & powdercoated over the winter.
Looking at the existing paint, I don't think its "projectile" damage, certainly not fly impact...can you imagine what the flies were like it it was :shock:

Someone on another post mentioned PlastiKote (they spelt it Plasticoat - for search) which might work. I prefer the idea of powdercoat if possible.

Was wondering if I could fabricate some form of plastic slip on protector once they are re-covered to protect the leading edges...?

Al

Postby Al » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:27 pm

There have been posts in the past about this, If I recall, to do it properly you need to remove the glass to get at the end of the arm, I think warming them up was the way to do it but it wasn’t easy. If you could touch them up and put a strip of helicopter tape on the edge it might look ok.
The BCR had different round mirrors mounted on the bars with a blanking plate for the fairing, could be another option, some on eBay.
Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

dmmsta

Postby dmmsta » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:51 pm

Al wrote:There have been posts in the past about this, If I recall, to do it properly you need to remove the glass to get at the end of the arm, I think warming them up was the way to do it but it wasn’t easy. If you could touch them up and put a strip of helicopter tape on the edge it might look ok.
The BCR had different round mirrors mounted on the bars with a blanking plate for the fairing, could be another option, some on eBay.
Al.

:thumbright:

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:51 am

Al wrote:There have been posts in the past about this, If I recall, to do it properly you need to remove the glass to get at the end of the arm, I think warming them up was the way to do it but it wasn’t easy. If you could touch them up and put a strip of helicopter tape on the edge it might look ok.
Al.

I don't think there's any cheaply of doing this apart from a self spray job. The round mirrors were only on the RWB Boxercup and the blanking plates are around sixty quid each :shock:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

bfisher

Postby bfisher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:46 pm

Nothing complex about this job, the ticky bit is removing the mirror from the plastic.. if you're better than I if you manage not to break mirrors even despite heating them in oven (~120 for a few mins).

If you break glass, then send here https://www.cardoormirrors.com/

I did this about 4 years ago, £24 for 2.

Go here for powder coating: http://tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk/

Note: It comes back, i had mine done about 4 years ago & corrosion will come back. Enjoy while it lasts.

B

Return to “Boxertech”