Final drive speedo sensor female connector

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

MickB

Final drive speedo sensor female connector

Postby MickB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:40 pm

For reasons best known only to myself (I wanted lower rpm at cruising speeds on long boring motor way trips), in pursuit of this possibly dubious goal I decided to change the factory final drive for one from a 1200 RT going from a 2.75 ratio to 2.62. The parts fiche showed a similar looking speedo sensor to the one fitted to the 12s. I will be the first to admit that commonality between the RT and 12s sensors was not indicated. However in a triumph of hope over experience I took the plunge and found one in very nice condition on fleabay, which has duly arrived.

Although externally the two units, with the exception of the colour are identical in all important respects, the two sensors are widely different. I assume is for the extra signal for the ABS on the RT. My S does not have ABS. No problem thought I I'll just use the lead that came with the new diff. Therein lies the problem. Whilst both connectors are two pin the new one will not fit the female connector on the loom on my bike.

Not wanting to give up at the first set back I now would like to know whether it is possible to change the female connector on the 12s loom to that from an RT without cutting any wires and what are the thoughts of those of you out there who have read this far as to whether there is a remote possibility that the speedo will actually work after the swap is completed.

Otherwise I'll be looking for some new friends on the RT forum.

I look forward to hearing from you.

dave the german

Re: Final drive speedo sensor female connector

Postby dave the german » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:56 pm

the parts fiche does show repair plugs - not sure whether the plugs come with a short lead or not. It may be worth very close inspection to see if the tangs on the connectors can be levered so the spades come out then it would be a case of checking with auto electrical suppliers. You will probably need to have non insulated crimping pliers to get a neat fit but these aren't expensive
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

MickB

Re: Final drive speedo sensor female connector

Postby MickB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:17 pm

That is a top tip. I seen what you are referring to and that's worth a punt.

Many thanks

Mick

Return to “Boxertech”