R1200s Cylinder oil leak - numpty question!

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Hayden

R1200s Cylinder oil leak - numpty question!

Postby Hayden » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Hi learned ones
I`ve discovered the reason the last man got shut of my R12, it has an oil weep from the LH cylinder barrel, only takes 10 miles or so and you can see oil drops on the btm of the frame and exhaust where its been blown, the leak is from the bottom of the cylinder barrel itself, between the two bottom bolts.
So, presuming this will be crazy expensive at a dealer, I`m about to learn how to strip down the cylinder... :cry:
Any one with experience of doing this? I`m open to any advice...
And the numpty question, do I have to drain the oil to do this, the sight glass is below the level of the bottom of the cylinder, doesn`t mean the oil level will be lower...? ( I`m not that tight but the oil and filter were only changed a 100 miles ago)
cheers

popsky

Re: R1200s Cylinder oil leak - numpty question!

Postby popsky » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:53 am

Hi Hayden
I found this on tinternet

May help

https://youtu.be/ABQJkYQpuIE

One of 8 videos
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:47 pm

Excellent...
Thank you very much for that, I`ll give that a good watch later....when she`s got corrie on :)

cheers

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:14 pm

Just for info:

Answer to `numpty question` is no, a small amount is lost taking head / cylinder off etc but nothing significant, barely affects oil level.

For anyone having to do this, ( cylinder removal ) its a relatively straight forward job if a little time consuming first time round, 2nd time I did it was alot quicker...don`t ask :)
Main lesson learnt, removing cylinder leaving piston in place is ok but fiddly getting barrel back on and rings to line up without damaging the oil control spring, much better to withdraw barrel just enough to disconnect piston from con rod and remove with piston still in barrel, reassemble using a ring compression tool and dropping piston back into barrel then sliding back into place onto the rod etc.

Oil weep was from a failed blanking plug, not failed sealant as first thought, so replacement cylinder barrel fitted and bike is now how it should be and after a few miles I`m seriously back in love with it....what a fantastic bike these are 8)

seasons greetings to all

cheers H

popsky

Postby popsky » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:32 pm

Well done Hayden, glad you’re enjoying the 12s

Merry Christmas
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Return to “Boxertech”