Lockdown maintenance.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dobbo

Lockdown maintenance.

Postby dobbo » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:09 am

In N.S.W we're in Covid lockdown, so a good time to do some work on my r1200s. It was due for a 40000km service so I changed oil and filter cleaned air filter, pulled the swingarm out to grease driveshaft and replace bevel box oil and adjust valve clearance. Note I already changed plugs and alt belt at 20000km due to age.
However my attempt to undo the final drive pivot pin bolt after applying heat resulted in the bolt coming partially loose then locking up solid(bloody thread lock they use) so I had to drill the head off the bolt to remove it. The output shaft seal was leaking so it was changed as well.
I also lengthened the rear shock 5mm tightened LH twistgrip and changed a blown low beam globe and of course took it for a test run, it seemed to turn in better however I could not ride it very far due to Covid restrictions.
An interesting aside I've owned two r1200s and performed the same driveshaft greasing one had a retaining ring on the front coupling and the other one did not. Looking forward to having a proper ride after lockdown.
Cheers Dobbo.
PS I also changed the ball bearing on the rear pivot after I heated it up (melted some grease out) trying to free up the pivot bolt.

jeznewsome

Re: Lockdown maintenance.

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Good use of Lockdown I'd say. :)

Return to “Boxertech”