Barbacks: Rapid Dog's vs Moto-CNC's

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Marra

Barbacks: Rapid Dog's vs Moto-CNC's

Postby Marra » Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi all, I want to raise my handlebars of my 1998 reg R1100s above the top yoke and move them nearer to my armpits! I've seen the RD Barbacks on this forum and then found out about the Moto-CNC ones made in Co. Durham. Moto-CNC say their's are unsuitable for clip-on handlebars that were originally located below the top yoke, presumably due to the belt and braces pegging system to stop the bars rotating. Has anyone got any opinions on the suitability of either?

I'm not very computer savvy. If anyone can point me to the Idiots Guide on how to include a jpeg photo, I'll try and paste a photo of my handlebar. :(
Bob G

SP250

Re: Barbacks: Rapid Dog's vs Moto-CNC's

Postby SP250 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:38 am

Some bar-backs for sale over on Face Book R1100S lovers group now. https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listi ... attachment

And don't worry about pinning the clip ons to the yoke.
All racebikes mainly don't and they don't have issues.
My 11S has had the bars on top of the yokes for years and they don't move if the triple clamps are tight and the bar clamps are tight, even if you drop the bike. Don't ask me how I know!
John M

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:32 am

Obviously it's your own choice but as above, I've used Rapid dog barbacks above the top yoke with no issues on and off over the years and come to think of it I currently have BMW comfort bars ( with the peg on the bottom of the bars) below the top yoke, again with no issues (110k miles in my ownership). In fact the bike was supplied like this from a local BMW dealer when I purchased the bike originally.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Marra

Postby Marra » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:46 pm

Thanks very much for your input, John, Nigel. You’ve boosted my self-confidence no end so I’ll give it a bash. Cheers :D
Bob G

Marra

Postby Marra » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:31 pm

Have purchased the barbacks that were on BMW R1100s Lovers Facebook group. Many thanks for the link, John. Looking forward to getting them fitted.

Now I want to lower the drivers footrests so I’ll start searching for advice on here :roll:
Bob G

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:43 pm

It's years ago now but I fitted something like ACA66689 from Motorworks.
I'm sure someone else got a plate machined in aluminium which fitted to the original mounts and then secured the original footpeg mount to this . I can't find the original thread but from (a fading) memory it was aesthetically better than what I fitted to my bike.
The Motorworks version is a whopping 50mm lower ( I've just confirmed on my bike too ) which is probably why my 11S feels so comfortable in this area ( seat to peg height ). You're probably aware though that adjusting clip ons and peg height can lead to needing to modify the seat....

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:14 am

Or you can get a Sargant seat or similar with an inch or two more padding and that relieves the tight knee bend problem without lowering the footrests. That way you keep the lean angle ability to still hoon around and get the cylinder heads to touch down. If you lower the footrests they will touch a lot sooner and you wont be able to take the corners as fast. All down to the kind of riding you want to do with the bike of course.
I made my own peg lowering kit of parts, (including an SS flex back brake hose) but didn't like the feel and was touching down too often so I bought a gel seat pad to strap on top of the standard seat which was more comfortable (one inch thick) but my backside was not "connected" with the bike and would move around independantly of the bike and seat because of the gel layer. Feels weird but ok for touring and comfort but used to take it off when going for a hoon.
John M

Marra

Postby Marra » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:24 pm

Thanks very much for the input, guys. I was kinda hoping the seat wouldn’t need to be modified. At 70 years of age, I definitely need more distance between my backside and my feet when I’m pootling around (I know most folk will be thinking what a waste of a good sportsbike, but I love the bike and want to keep riding it for as long as possible) but I also like to have both my feet flat on the ground when I come to a stop. This needs more pondering - once I’ve got used to the barbacks!
Bob G

Return to “Boxertech”