Aftermarket exhaust headers

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Madmax

Aftermarket exhaust headers

Postby Madmax » Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:44 pm

After looking for aftermarket headers for 12s. I,ve noticed that they are smaller diameter. Well zard etc. Dont know bout the akro.
The std ones on mine measure 57mm external.
I enquirde about some zard ones & was told internal ,measure 40mm. Thats a massive reduction in size. & would surely affect performance.
Can anyone tell me what the akro measure or any othe comments.
Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life

boxerscott

Re: Aftermarket exhaust headers

Postby boxerscott » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:21 pm

Madmax wrote:After looking for aftermarket headers for 12s. I,ve noticed that they are smaller diameter. Well zard etc. Dont know bout the akro.
I enquirde about some zard ones & was told internal ,measure 40mm. Thats a massive reduction in size. & would surely affect performance.
I can not tell you what size the Akra`s measure but i may have lots of other comments about aftermarket stuff... . that would be if it ain`t broke dont fix it, it`s an old girl and original stuff is more of value to it than Carlos Fandango stuff. Appreciate it for what it is, it`s a unique model, few about relatively speaking. Do not fcuk with it!! My opinion is that a stock R1200s is more appealing to a buyer than one that has been modded. If it`s more performance you want then probably you have bought the wrong bike?

Either way enjoy for what it is, owners on here rave about them. It`s a cool bike for sure.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:05 am

Madmax wrote:After looking for aftermarket headers for 12s. I,ve noticed that they are smaller diameter. Well zard etc. Dont know bout the akro.

Where are you taking the measurements Madmax, and as far as I know Zard never made header pipes for the 12s only the silencer.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:07 am

boxerscott wrote:
I can not tell you what size the Akra`s measure but i may have lots of other comments about aftermarket stuff... . that would be if it ain`t broke dont fix it, it`s an old girl and original stuff is more of value to it than Carlos Fandango stuff. Appreciate it for what it is, it`s a unique model, few about relatively speaking. Do not fcuk with it!! My opinion is that a stock R1200s is more appealing to a buyer than one that has been modded. If it`s more performance you want then probably you have bought the wrong bike?

Either way enjoy for what it is, owners on here rave about them. It`s a cool bike for sure.

Chris

The only trouble is the stock silencer looks like a baboons arsehole :mrgreen:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Madmax

Postby Madmax » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:24 am

Its not performance im after. Love the bike. Plenty fast enough. I just like the look of the swept backs & sound the aftermarket gives.

Madmax

Postby Madmax » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:32 am

Boonstra motorparts…

https://www.boonstraparts.com/nl/onderd ... leet-sport

& yes zard did make headers. Theres some here for sale. But as i said there 40mm inside diameter according to them. So dont want em. Especially in that condition.

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:43 pm

They need a clean and polish but for that price there good value, especially as almost unavailable second hand, but you may be liable to import duty.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Madmax

Postby Madmax » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:06 pm

Think ya r8 pal

WilyECoyote

Postby WilyECoyote » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:44 pm

Stock header Ø is 47/50 mm (ID/OD)

Remus (Ti) is 41/45 and from memory Akra (Ti) is about the same as the Remus. Both Remus and Akra Ø increase along the way, creating a Venturi effect which increases the speed of the exhaust gases etc.
'09 HP2S, '07 R1200S

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:34 am

Mabmax I've got a HPE system which is English I believe. Header ODis 50mm, the stock exhaust is too quiet I had trouble rev matching on down shifts.

WilyECoyote

Postby WilyECoyote » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:02 am

@dobbo: I have a UK made recreation of the original HPE headers which I linked to an Akrapovic exhaust.
'09 HP2S, '07 R1200S

Return to “Boxertech”