Lubing driveshaft splines HP2 Sport

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

capt howdy

Lubing driveshaft splines HP2 Sport

Postby capt howdy » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:39 am

Greeetings from the antipodes
I want to lube the the splines on the HP2 Sport driveshaft but the Reprom dvd talks about removing the swingarm. When i did my k12R i only needed to tilt the final drive down and remove the driveshaft from the rear. I see that the HP2 driveshaft has a snap ring on each end of the driveshaft which the k12 doesn’t. Is it possible to withdraw the shaft from the final drive end by just tilting the final drive down?

Humbug

Re: Lubing driveshaft splines HP2 Sport

Postby Humbug » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:10 pm

I know you can on the 1200s having done it myself. Its not the easiest as it seems to only come out and go back in to the swingarm housing on the third Friday of a blood moon when the villagers are dancing around the willow by the stream. Took me an hour to get it back in, everything needs to line up perfectly to get it back in.
10 KTM RC8

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:47 pm

Humbug wrote:I know you can on the 1200s having done it myself. Its not the easiest as it seems to only come out and go back in to the swingarm housing on the third Friday of a blood moon when the villagers are dancing around the willow by the stream. Took me an hour to get it back in, everything needs to line up perfectly to get it back in.

Thankyou for that. Do you have snap rings on the driveshaft splines?

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:59 pm

I have done a couple of gs1200 shaft lubes, and the HP2 can’t be that different. They pop off the snap rings easily the trick to reassemble is to cut a 3 foot (1 meter) length of dexion / angle iron and slide the shaft up into position, this keeps the joints in line simples!
Good luck

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:18 am

Phil K wrote:I have done a couple of gs1200 shaft lubes, and the HP2 can’t be that different. They pop off the snap rings easily the trick to reassemble is to cut a 3 foot (1 meter) length of dexion / angle iron and slide the shaft up into position, this keeps the joints in line simples!
Good luck

Phil

Thanks Phil. I think you’re right. I checked realoem and all the parts are interchangeable with the gs. The swing arm has a different part number but i think that’s to do with the color. Great idea with the dexion.

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:45 pm

Yes there was a snap ring on the gearbox end. I know the actual shaft for the 12S is specific and cannot be interchanged with any other as when I snapped mine, it cost £545 from BMW as they cannot be found second hand and are different from the GS or 11S according to them.
10 KTM RC8

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:37 am

Humbug wrote:Yes there was a snap ring on the gearbox end. I know the actual shaft for the 12S is specific and cannot be interchanged with any other as when I snapped mine, it cost £545 from BMW as they cannot be found second hand and are different from the GS or 11S according to them.

Hey Humbug. It looks like there is a snap ring both ends of the drive shaft and the HP2 Sport shares the same one.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?i ... 6117665803

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:56 am

Looks like it although I don't remember the one on the bevel box end it must have been there.
I think I would have had a harder job finding a second hand one for the HP2 S than the 12S which is why it cost so much :D
10 KTM RC8

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:27 pm

Capt howdy Ive done this twice on two different r1200s Ive owned and could never get the shaft out of the swingarm and have always removed the swingarm and replaced the output shaft seal as well as lube the front spline.(both low mileage bikes and seals were weeping) One had a snap ring on the front coupling and the other did not. The 1200s shaft is a fixed length so the coupling on the bevel box must slide on the bevel box input shaft.
Under no circumstances fit a snap ring on the rear coupling, I imagine the hp2 is the same.

capt howdy

Postby capt howdy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:18 am

‘Under no circumstances fit a snap ring on the rear coupling, I imagine the hp2 is the same’

There is a snap ring on both ends of the drive shaft on the HP2 Sport

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:59 am

I wonder if they are a bit haphazard at the factory assembly lines. The new shafts always come with clips fitted in the couplings my 1200s's have never had the rear ones fitted, having said that the Hp2 may be different :oops:

Return to “Boxertech”