ABS Modulator control unit

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

NevHarrison

ABS Modulator control unit

Postby NevHarrison » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:30 pm

Hello Gents
I am seeking some guidance. I have an R1100S - 2004, had it for about 5 years and no major problems at all, other than the well documented issue of the ABS throwing its hand in and therefore the unit has been by-passed.

After an epic bike trip to Wales last year with no issues, I decided to replace the front discs, again no dramas. However, on the test ride with the new discs and pads, I found the speedo and rear brake lights had stopped working. Nothing had been touched other than removing the front wheel and replacing with the new discs.

I then went through the whole diagnostic routine as best as I could to make sure it wasn't due to the front ABS sensor, air gap is well within tolerance, and ended up pretty much stripping the bike down to check the wiring. Continuity seems to be good on all parts.

I had a guy try and reset the control unit, thinking it may have been the ABS control unit which needed resetting. Unfortunately, the control unit wouldn't even register on his diagnostic tool. So it seems the ABS control unit has also thrown its hand in. Has anybody also experienced this and is there a work around? It seems the ABS units for this age of bike are few and far between at the moment. I am wondering if anybody has an old unit in their garage shed which would be up for sale?

I am also looking to sell the bike, which is a bit of a frustration.

Would be very grateful for any guidance and also if anybody is looking for a good donor vehicle - if this ABS control unit can't be sourced at a reasonable price.

Many thanks

Nev.

slparry

Re: ABS Modulator control unit

Postby slparry » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:28 am

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

NevHarrison

Re: ABS Modulator control unit

Postby NevHarrison » Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:28 am

Hi Steve

Many thanks for coming back to me.

I have already undertaken the ABS removal and bypass process, so that original part of the ABS system failing has been resolved.

The type of ABS unit is the one included in the attached picture.

If I can't get a replacement unit, the only other option would be to send to an ABS/ECU testing and repair place where I could see if they can do something with the control board.

So if anybody does have one of these units they would like to sell on I would be keen to discuss pricing.

Many thanks

Nev

Return to “Boxertech”