Indicator not working?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

David_S_Walker

Indicator not working?

Postby David_S_Walker » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:53 pm

Hello,

Strange one with my R1200S….

Near side front indicator wont work.Changed with known good bulb made no difference. Then tested cable for incoming power feed and nothing! Checked offside power cable and it had a flashing power feed as you would expect.

I don’t think there is a fuse box on the R1200S so am a bit stumped and would welcome any suggestions?

Best regards,

David :thumbright:
Last edited by David_S_Walker on Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

slparry

Re: Indicator not working?

Postby slparry » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:13 pm

My guess is physically damaged cable some where and the canbus system is shutting down that circuit to protect itself.

You could "possibly" run a wire from the rear indicator to the front.

I'm a bit confused I thought the 1200RS had led indicators? Or is an R1200S ?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:21 pm

Thanks Steve.

I was thinking that might be the best course of action and yes it is an R1200S! I’ve owned it long enough to know! :D

I don’t believe there is a traditional fuse box on the bike anyway so will keep looking and if I don’t uncover it then a wire from back to front it is although whether that will fool the ECU into cancelling the LAMPF Ihave we will see.

Best regards,

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:56 pm

mmmmm .... I thought the lampf warning was to do with the headlight or sidelight bulb? Never seen one come up for indicator failure but I believe it does (as you've discovered)

My thoughts are a wiring fault in that circuit. A GS911 or a trip to your local dealer for diagnostic may shed more light

Oh and just try putting the "good" indicator onto that circuit just in case it's the indicator itself, I know you've not seen a signal on the line but "just in case"

Also disconnect the battery for a few minutes to see if it just needs a canbus reset?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:39 pm

To update….

LAMPF applies to all front lights including the indicator. All bulbs are fine and tested. There is just no power coming through the near side indicator by way of a pulse to flash the bulb. This pulse is present on the off side. Tried swapping the “bad” indicator side to the “good” side and it works fine.

Disconnected the battery for a few hours and reconnected. No change.

Not sure where to go next? My nearest BMW dealer is in Swansea and last time I called them they seemed completely disinterested in looking at. An older (2006) motorcycle and I dont have access to a GS911…

I may have to go for teh wire from rear indicator to the front and whilst I am sure it will wor not sure it will deal with the LAMPF indication.

Any ideas welcome? Is ther a relay somewhere? If there is not sure why it would affect the front near side only?

Best regards,

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:25 pm

I'm guessing M&P are your only option David, apart from tracing the wire as far back to the loom as you can to see if there's a break somewhere?
--
Steve Parry

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:24 pm

Hi
I don`t think there is a fuse or relay for the indicator, power is supplied directly from the ECU after a signal from the switch, have you checked out the switch, there not exactly bullet proof..failing that a bad brown earth lead, the ECU will `notice` a bad earth and shut that circuit down.

cheers H

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:57 pm

To me Dave it has to be dodgy wiring or connector to that circuit.

The rear TS works so it cant be the switch
There's no power to that TS so it can't be an earth

Follow the cable back until you get power I guess is the only answer
--
Steve Parry

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:00 pm

Hello,

Well it's fixed....

So I had only tested for power after turning the ignition on with the indicator connected, the fault presented and there was no pulsing power feed. This led me to think there was a break somewhere further down the feed. For some reason this morning I turned ignition on as usual and the fault was there. This time however I turned the ignition off, disconnected the indicator plug and turned on the ignition. Checked for pulsing current and lo and behold it was there! Refitted the mirror unit and the fault recurred so it was obviously the CANBUS shutting down that circuit due to a fault within the mirror wiring loom.

So I had a spare mirror assembly that I had to replace after my recent spill so ignition off, connected, ignition on and indicator worked!. So a fault in the wiring from plug to bulb in the old mirror unit but at least I had a working piece of loom I could use. So after splitting the mirror casings apart and swapping over the loom in the mirror I plugged it all back in and everything works as it should.

All now good so just a few more bits to come back from repair and I will be back on the road again.

Thanks for the suggestions - They were pretty close! I will take away from this that if anything remotely similar occurs then unplug the failing part and then reset the CANBUS -Ignition off/on. If you leave it plugged in the circuit shuts down as soon as you turn on the ignition!

I suppose this is why they call it electrickery?

Best regards,

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:30 pm

Good that it’s sorted-plus there’s that nice smug feeling (especially with electrickery) when you’ve won!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:21 pm

Awesome!!

I'm guessing a GS911 or motoscan would have logged the fault and made life simpler :) Excellent that it's resolved tho'
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Boxertech”