Fuel level sensor - How do they work?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Fuel level sensor - How do they work?

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:26 am

On my Rockster I renewed the fuel filter last week as part of a service and since then, the fuel-reserve light has been playing up.

Initially it was stuck "on" (ie lit). Even a full tank of fuel didn't change that.

But I've now down about 100 miles (commute to the office and back) and during those two rides, (I topped up that morning), the reserve light has gone off, then back on again at random intervals (about 10 times per trip).

Initally I thought it might be something to do with leaning the bike and changing something in the tank... but I couldn't replicate that.

So - the main question is... How is the fuel level actually sensed? How does the sensor work? I"m pretty sure it's not a lever with a floating ball on the end, so how is the level actually ascertained?

The Rockster just has a reserve light, like the R1100S (same instrument panel), so I'm assuming the fuel-level sensor is the same too.
non quod, sed quomodo

nab 301

Re: Fuel level sensor - How do they work?

Postby nab 301 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:32 pm

A bit of a late reply , I had a photo but I can't locate it , and I've replaced the filter a few time in my 20 yrs of ownership but for some reason I can't remember what it looks like :oops: Part number is 16142306895 for the 11 S and I think it's a white plastic cylinder with a float/ slider inside all mounted on the back plate beside the pump and filter . That number doesn't seem to come up for the Rockster . Some R models have a float on a piece of wire but afaik not the S
http://mcsoperformance.com/pompe-essence-jauge-filtre-/3087-jauge-a-essence-kit-complet-r1100s-bmw.html
Last edited by nab 301 on Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxertech”