Warped discs (AGAIN!) - any advice on replacements?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Chamelespoon

Warped discs (AGAIN!) - any advice on replacements?

Postby Chamelespoon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:07 pm

Okay, so the set of replacement brake discs I got under warranty have also warped (less than a year old?), and as the bike is out of warranty now I'd prefer to buy something that's going to last. :)

So, first question: which non-OEM discs would people recommend (to fit a pre-EVO 2000 model S), and where to get them from? I've been thinking some Braking wave jobs, which I see from a search Crucial fitted. How have yours held up, Crucial? Would you still recommend them?

Next question: seeing as this is the second set to go in a short period, is there anything I should look for which might be causing the warpage? As far as environment goes, it's used in all weathers and sadly left outside during the daytime (garaged at night). The cold weather seems to have killed them - and I think it did in the last set too.

Any advice greatly welcome. :)

winger

Postby winger » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:42 pm

It's along story but you can't buy BRAKEING disc's any more as you could a time back,the dealers will you they can get them and then find out that Blunderlich got the plug pulled on e'm and know you have to go to them and pay their price!!!

If you want wavy dics go Galfer,but even they've had a blip the part number is wrong on the box and thats haveing to be sorted out!!!,but it'll only take a week or so.

Chris

crucial

Postby crucial » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:28 pm

My Braking wave discs have been fine (so far), they came from Talon.

The brakes are the one area on the s that have been the most problematic.

So far - the posts on the wheel wear, the pads squeal, the calipers sieze, the discs warp (one set were pitted) and ebc pads rattle (unless you drill and fit clips of the originals) but apart form that they've been fine :roll:

Mine are the orig. Brembo calipers BTW. I still have a set of Brembo gold calipers to fit but haven't got round getting the adaptor plates made.

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:22 pm

Cheers guys. :)

Crucial - thankfully(?!) only had a problem with warping, so far, although I expect I'll need to fit sprung washers between the discs and wheel posts in the not too distant future. I also have the original Brembos. Give us an update if and when you fit the new calipers.

Winger - Ah, yes... Wunderlich. Take a reasonably priced product, then add on the cost of shipping it to the USA and back (adding as many taxes as you can both ways), then sell it for that price. :evil:
Any recommendations on where to get the Galfers from? I'm not in a massive rush, as the OEMs have only just started to warp (they were a lot worse when I got the first set swapped), so a week won't make much difference.

Thanks again, chaps!

winger

Postby winger » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:01 pm

Talon are the importers for 'Brakeing' Paul,Lloyd and myself got in before Wunderlich put the block on it,wait till Gus comes along tonight he was hanging of the rafters about it and rightfully so!!!,phone Talon and see what they say!!!!

Galfer try www.promoto.co.uk he's in the process of sorting the number blip out so he's ahead(slightly) of the game.

Chris

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:42 pm

You dont put wavy washers between the disc and the post its a flat washer that goes there, the wavy washer goes on the outside between the top hat washer and the outside of the disc

Bob

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:57 pm

As much as I hate to admit to looking at it, there is a brand new pair of genuine BMW discs for sale on the BMW Club bulletin board.
Never fitted, they were bought for a 1150RT, I don't know if they are the same as for the S. As your replacements warped as well you probably are looking for non-BMW ones!
Anyway if interested they cost £264 and he's looking for £132, and is probably open to offers.

Cheers :lol:

Ian

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:26 pm

Thanks, Ian, but you've hit the nail on the head: I'm after some non-BMW replacements. The BMW ones are great while they're the right shape(!), but I don't want to have to replace the things every 9 months. :lol:

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:51 am

PM'd you
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

crucial

Postby crucial » Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:44 pm

I forgot, you could also try ABE, i've no experience of their discs but they did a good job on my shock.

http://www.allbikeengineering.co.uk/index.html

nab 301

Re: Warped discs (AGAIN!) - any advice on replacements?

Postby nab 301 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:37 pm

Chamelespoon wrote:Okay, so the set of replacement brake discs I got under warranty have also warped (less than a year old?), and as the bike is out of warranty now I'd prefer to buy something that's going to last. :)

So, first question: which non-OEM discs would people recommend (to fit a pre-EVO 2000 model S), and where to get them from? I've been thinking some Braking wave jobs, which I see from a search Crucial fitted. How have yours held up, Crucial? Would you still recommend them?

Next question: seeing as this is the second set to go in a short period, is there anything I should look for which might be causing the warpage? As far as environment goes, it's used in all weathers and sadly left outside during the daytime (garaged at night). The cold weather seems to have killed them - and I think it did in the last set too.

Any advice greatly welcome. :)

Without stating the obvious , are you sure the discs are warped?. Soon after buying my s it developed a woeful shudder under braking. I checked everything , disc runout , forks etc , ended up changing the pads and everything was perfect :shock: . Problem hasn't occured since , although the pads have been changed (normal wear) a few times since.
Nigel B

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:29 am

Yeah, pretty sure: it isn't the first time it's happened to me, and it took a long while to convince the dealer that the problem was with the disks; eventually they ripped them off and tested them, and they were indeed warped.
Same feeling under braking with this set. Plus, they'd only replaced the front pads recently (fairly, 2-3K miles ago).
Still, the problem alleviated some (not all, unfortunately) when I pumped the front tyre up a bit. I'm shamed to admit that I hadn't checked the pressure in a while, and the front was running at 7-10psi! No wonder the steering was feeling heavy! :oops:

gus

Postby gus » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Front wheel fubared?
gus

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:10 am

gus wrote:Front wheel fubared?
gus

Mine is definately fubar'd and the right disk is warped enough to make the pads clatter after they've been released. It's like having a a cheap version of ABS at the moment. I need a new front wheel if anyone has one :lol:

Jason

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:17 am

gus wrote:Front wheel fubared?
gus

I've been wondering that. Really hope not! :lol:

Return to “Boxertech”