Wot no gears?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dog Tyred

Wot no gears?

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:32 pm

Bit of advice if you would be so kind.
Wheeled the beasty out of the garage the other day for a bit of a blast. Fired her up, select first gear....nothing. Pull clutch in and out a couple of times, try again, nothing. Two minutes of trying everything I know later finally engages first and off I go. No subsequent problems.
Bike has only done 4.5K

Any clues? :?
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

wicker

Postby wicker » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:37 pm

They all do that sir. Seriously, my S needs a firm gentle but press on the lever to engage first when first starting up. Wonderful things BMW gearboxes.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:45 pm

Hmmmm....tried that but to no effect. Only had the bike since Jan 7th and haven't managed many miles due to weather :x Bought the bike from my brother so asked him if he had every experienced the problem to which he replied 'never'.

Wondered if maybe I'd bent a selector or something?

I'll just have to see if it happens again I guess.

Saturday was first proper ride on the bike on dry roads. Well impressed :D

2002 BCR

BR11S

Postby BR11S » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:09 pm

Do a search on gear selection getting it into first etc.
I found that while keeping pressure down and letting the clutch out slightly it goes in every time. as the actress.....
Someone did explain once - something to do with the spline alignment.
Bern.

twodear

Postby twodear » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:11 pm

Other than having difficulty with a false neutral between 3rd and 4th on the S and a persistant problem of not wanting to shift all the way through neutral to second from first (either bike, about 20% of the time), transmissions on both my S and GS are pretty good. The clutch seems bullet proof.

I think most bikes have a problem upshifting from first to second but I've never heard of shifting failing altogether and then seemingly starting to work as normal.

Jim
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:23 pm

Perhaps the g/box oil is like treacle and need swapping to synth ? Couple of mins next to a heat source sorted it ?
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:39 am

BR11S wrote:Do a search on gear selection getting it into first etc.
I found that while keeping pressure down and letting the clutch out slightly it goes in every time. as the actress.....
Someone did explain once - something to do with the spline alignment.
Bern.

I agree - I do it habitually now. It doesn't engage 1st with the clutch lever fully pulled back on mine either

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:20 pm

.. or push the bike back and forth a bit, thus rotating the sprockets of the gearbox, might help ...

Also giving her a pat on the back every now and then does help ...

HJ

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:03 pm

:D Took the old gal out for a bit of ablast today and happy to report no gear box problems at all. Hoorah!!

Next time will try the pedal down, dragging clutch approach. If there is a next time !!

Cheers for the input chaps.

Looking forward to meeting a few of you in Wales at the end of March.

2002 BCR

oyster

Postby oyster » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:15 pm

You will get used to the false neutrals as well in time! I read here last year a very good expression for getting first to engage, 'the Neasden Shuffle!' This requires you to roll the bike back or forth just a little until the gear engages. Nearly always from cold, rarely once it's warmed up. Well worth it though.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:56 pm

I must have owned too many beemers as I thought it was the norm to roll back and forth / drag the clutch to engage 1st gear. Jap bikes on the other hand just engage with a feck off loud clunk. Anyone know how to engage first on a jap bike quietly? :oops:

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:35 am

Dead easy Adam, just switch off the engine ! :wink:

You still enjoying the Fazer as much ?

Toodle Pip
:wav:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:20 am

theseadog wrote:You still enjoying the Fazer as much ?

Toodle Pip
:wav:

Yep, so far I'm impressed, although to be fair I haven't had much chance to ride it lately. Of the 1500 odd miles I've covered most have been work-related motorway journeys :roll:

I'm looking foward to some better weather and a chance to use more of it's cornering potential (probably involving a bit of supsension adjustment)plus dabble with the top end of the rev range :shock:

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:47 am

Hi Adam,

How's your son progressing as a pillion?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:13 am

Paul wrote:Hi Adam,

How's your son progressing as a pillion?

Cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul

We've only been out for two half hour rides but he seems to be a natural. He's not worried about hanging on to me and happy to wave as we pull away from the house. On the first ride he did tense up for a gentle sweeper but soon relaxed into it as we made our way along the local twisty B roads.

He even started shouting for me to go faster so I used a bit of brisk acceleration here and there and took it up to 70 on a straight with no junctions. I thought this was more than enough... apparently not :lol:

We'll hopefuly get more rides in as the weather warms up a bit providing he can fit me into his heavy schedule of football and/or PS2 :wink:

Cheers

Adam

Return to “Boxertech”