Puncture kit

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Me-109

Puncture kit

Postby Me-109 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:01 am

Only mildly-technical question, quite tenuous really, but has anyone got a pdf or jpeg of the destructions for the puncture repair kit from under the seat? I've got all the kit in their, including the little plastic wallet, but not the paperwork. I've never used a puncture repair kit on a motorbike - actually I've never had a puncture in the car or on the bike (touch wood) - but since I've got the gear I may as well understand what I'm supposed to do.

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:31 am

Now there's a coincidence. I'm in exactly the same boat too, so would appreciate a copy as well if anybody has one. :)

Nick
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:59 am

No Insturctions.. but this is the process.

1. Stop bike before you fall off
2. Find 'object'.. mark circle around it and remove (keep for evidence in pub later)
3. Bore out the hole.. either by chatting about gear ratios,.. or using the boring tool in the kit. (looks like a drill bit)
4. Fit the 'Darning Needle' device to the handle, .. pass rubber bung through the 'eye'
5. Apply glue to rubber.. (Plenty of it)
6. Push rubber bung into tyre,.. going as deep as you dare, in the approximate direction/angle of the hole.
7. Adjust angle of the tool,.. and gently draw back out. This will give you '2 ends' and '1 double bend' of rubber bung sticking out of the tyre. (Like a letter 'W')
8. Using the blade, chop the rubber flushish to the tyre. (Apply more glue to area.. optional lol)
9. Attach white plastic valve connector to the rim valve.
10. Screw compressed canister onto the valve connector until seal punctures and tyre inflates
11. Apply spit,.. (Sorry.. this is for BMW's not Bandits..) Apply Evian to the offending area and look for leakage.
12. Check tyre pressures asap.

Alternatively,.. get some 'Sticky Worms' next time your in a 'Tyre Fitters'. Less mess.. more reliable.

Geoff

Geoff
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:21 pm

Thank you very much. I'll pring that out for when I need it in the dark, wet, cold (gale optional) nights when I'll wish that I had read it properly first. Not that I want to deliberately puncture a tyre just to practice my technique, I think I'll just hope it doesn't happen.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:29 pm

You don't need a repair kit at all as you won't ever, ever get a puncture.
That is until your new tyre is nicely scrubbed in and then you (me!!!) ride over the hatched area where all the nails lie in wait. :evil: Lesson learnt.

Mostly listening to Spock's Beard. Get some prog in!

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:24 pm

Call RAC/AA let them recover your bike.
Then have the arguement about how much damage the complete and utter tossers have done to youre bike by simply taking it home.

RAC/AA would like to say that I would not piss on them if they were on fire however I probably would just for the hell of it

Return to “Boxertech”