Brake disc replacement (advice please)

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Chamelespoon

Brake disc replacement (advice please)

Postby Chamelespoon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:02 pm

Okay, just thought I'd ask here before I make an expensive mistake! :)

I have a 2000 model S with ABS (but no evo), and am looking to replace the warptastic OEM discs with these:

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... /283/16896

So, my question: is the ABS ring on the front left disc separate from the disc itself, so I can just swap the discs without issues (I've taken a look, and it *looks* separate, but without removing the wheel I can't really tell)?

Of course, any other advice when undertaking something like this would be gratefully recieved. :)

winger

Postby winger » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:01 pm

All the ABS rings are separate,the early ones are much thicker than the later pressed tin ones,the difference is how much BM machine of the disc mounts,hence why it is possible to use an ABS wheel on a non ABS bike just buy spaceing the disc with washers.

The price of the discs look to dear to me!!!,Gus is just in the process of ordering a set as well,from the same place Graham( Mr Sheene) bought his.

Chris

gus

Postby gus » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:36 pm

Made up my mind to splash out on the galfers after seeing the set on grahams(mr sheene)bike.
Quality!
gus

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:04 pm

Thanks, Chris (new battery's working a charm, BTW - not a flicker from the ABS even after having to restart the engine this morning after stalling it!).

So, where should I be getting these flashy wavey discs then? :)

£132 seemed cheap after looking at the price of OEM discs on Motobins (£160 + VAT for the right side, £195 + VAT for the left!!); but I was hoping you'd chime in when I mentioned them (think it was either you or Lloyd who pointed me at them in the first place).

Thanks,

Rob.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:58 am

Not a bad price if it includes delivery
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

MR SHEEN

Postby MR SHEEN » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:37 am

If you are interested in a full set of galfers i would be able to help you.As i know the guy i was able to chisel him on price.Good price too.Let me know and we can sort something out.

graham :D :D :D
A CLEAN MACHINE IS A HAPPY MACHINE

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:48 pm

Graham, you have a PM. :)

gus

Postby gus » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:33 pm

Hi all
Graham has just dropped off the new Galfers.Nice bit of quality kit beautifully made.Hopefully braking nirvana will be but a light squeeze away!
gus

oyster

Postby oyster » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:32 pm

Please can we have reviews posted after a fair trial of these new, better feel AND extra grip, discs? I am seeking better stopping power and will switch if these are as described. And they look good. Anyone else found better (not cast iron) discs?
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:49 pm

Personally, I just want something that won't warp at the drop of a hat. If they give me extra braking performance and/or longevity, then that's a bonus! :)

As far as I know I'm not all that brutal on the brakes, but I do use the bike in all weathers and it's often parked uncovered outside while at work. What are people's opinions on the likelihood of that causing discs to warp? (I don't want to buy a shiny new pair of Galfers and then ruin them!)

Thanks,

Rob.

winger

Postby winger » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:11 pm

The reality is BM don't help things by the design,bolting solid disc's directly to wheel is only going to have one out come,and we've all suffered the same thing.

When it comes to the wavy gravy type then there are only two Brakeing,and Galfer,Blunderlich have a well documented history of what they did so the only option is Galfer.

If your prepared to pay,or at the very least get out there and do some hunting around it's possible to buy a pair of full floaters,both Loyd and i did some spade work a few months ago,and if you have 320mm disc's then you can get e'm for around £200 a piece,ours are the smaller one's and they wanted more!!.

Certainley the method i put up on another thread to give the disc some sideways free play seems to work and rideing two up most of the time my brakes seem to get a real pasteing and the present discs show no signs of warping(Yet!!)

An interesting comment from the guy who supplied Graham and Gus with their Galfers when asked about budget stuff,replied 'to much hassle',but i guess someone off the board could be a guinea pig!!,if you trawl the internet or the pages of MCN i've seen disc's at 130 quid a pair!!! the only way to find out is to buy and find out.

No different to us guys with Power Commanders,it's a risk.

Chris

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:57 pm

Well, after pulling on the brakes to slow from ~90mph this morning, and practically having my teeth rattled from my head, I think I'll get myself a set of these Galfers (as soon as I can get in touch with Graham, anyway).

Personally, not willing to risk the "budget" end of stoppers, and I'm running the smaller discs, too; haven't the beer tokens for full floaters (although certainly something I'll watch with interest for the future).

Just out of curiousity, Chris, aren't you running Dymags? Or do they use the same disc fitment method as the original BMW wheels?
--
Rob.

winger

Postby winger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Hi Rob

The Dymags are the same fitting as the stock wheels,well sort of,they use a crap disc carrier,bolted from the middle of the wheel,which both Lloyd and i dumped(after shelling out over 1300 quid!!) and had some custom ones made,(180!!)the only way i've found was the washer mod so you can't bolt the disc solidly to the wheel,up to now has work fine.

Chris

gus

Postby gus » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:30 pm

Heres some pics of the galfers.
gus

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:45 pm

That's a fine color of front wheel Mr Gus - hope you got it cheap :wink:

PS you forgot to bolt the discs on, you'll never stop for cyclists with it set up like that :roll:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak.

Return to “Boxertech”