Opinions please

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Opinions please

Postby Darth_1100S » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:47 pm

I've been making an oil cooler grille for the 'S' tonight. I don't know if I like it in Gold mesh or whether I should paint it black. What do you guys reckon?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ridgew ... m=ed41.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ridgew ... m=45c0.jpg

BTW, I checked my wiring around the fuse / relay pods and it all seems to be fine, no signs of fraying. Just to be on the safe side I will wrap it where it comes into contact with the frame, it is going to start fraying at some stage if I don't.

Dave 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:25 am

Methinks anodised purple would be in the best possible taste :) or black if you want to be soooo subtle that no-one knows you've modified it.
Checkout Mr Cannings S pictures on the pelican board, he's got carbon grill covers for his :shock:

Lloyd

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:32 am

Dave - black. Definitely. :)

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:24 am

Boxerpan - you're not helping :wink: I'm off to Edinburgh for a couple of days now, I'll be having words when I get get back......anodised purple indeed -sigh :roll:

Gromit - I'm leaning towards black meself. I'll put the front back and see what it looks like I think, I can always spray it in situ.

Dave.

julian

Postby julian » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:55 am

Dave

tbh I think gold is OK on the mandarin but would be a bit bling on black.

How did you manage to load your photos to Yahoo. I'm on BT Broadband/Yahoo and seem to be having problems. I can upload them to the BT server but the URl has my BT email adress in teh URL which I'm not happy about. Also cannot attach urls to these postings??

JK
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

twincans2003

oil cooler grille

Postby twincans2003 » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:16 am

hi
i am intrested in the grille mod how will you fix it to the panelling etc as very intrested

cheers jason

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:20 am

Waassup with a nice anodised finish, I'm sure it looked good on my SS50 field bike back in the mists of time :oops:

Lloyd

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:51 pm

Yeah Lloyd - but perpel!! :mrgreen:

And yeah I'm back from Edinburgh early, had to cancel my trip to the Raptor Centre, I was supposed to be having a day flying birds of prey, but the weather is just too shite! Be later in the year now.

Julian, I just registered to open a Yahoo photo album then I transfer any shots I want in there from my hard drive. If I want them to come upon here I just copy and paste the page from Yahoo.

Jason, If you go to a local B&Q Whorehouse you'll find (somewhere in there, in ours it's aisle 17) a section with loads of different types of metal mesh.
You'll obviously have to take the whole front nose and headight mount off the bike. Once the screws are out there's a plug on the left hand side as you look from front, just unplug it and the whole caboodle comes away. Then you need to get it on a bench and make sure all the little inserts (little brass ferrules which are threaded inside) where the screws fasten to hold the headlight unit and the back of the oil cooler intake are all still fixed in the holes. Sometimes they vibrate loose and fall out so they're not actually holding any thing in. Just for reference if there are any strange vibrating noises coming from behind the fairing, it's a fair bet that these inserts have fallen out. If there are any loose ones you'll have to Araldite them back in.
After you've done all that, make a cardboard template to the shape of the grill you're about to make. The finished grille is going to be in one piece & clamp between the black frame behind the oil cooler intakes and the main nose section. (wish I could draw a diagram and post it on here....maybe I can if you can't follow this). on one side you'll have to cut a litte bit of relief into the grill to go around the bottom of the headlight unit. It's really quite an easy job, just a bit difficult to explain. They only reason I did all this is because I've had a few stones hit the oil cooler - not good.

See if these photos help!

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ridgew ... m=ea55.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ridgew ... m=3954.jpg

The last shot shows the position of one of the headight unit mounting screws. The threaded brass ferrules that the screws go into are the ones that sometime vibrate loose.

Hope that helps a bit, if not let me know and I'll try to explain it better

Dave. 8)

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:08 pm

Just my personal opinion, but I think the grilles look pants. Not these one in particular, any of them, home made or wallet busting Wunderlich. But what do I know. :roll:

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:48 pm

Could save a lot of hassle tho Stemp, if I get "stoned" in the in the middle of the Europe tour!! :P

Dave. 8)
Last edited by Darth_1100S on Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:58 pm

Your dead right, but maybe if it was a bit less conspicuous :wink:

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:32 am

Like I said - black if you want it to be inconspicuous, any other colour if you want it to look like a tarts handbag :)

Lloyd

Darth_1100S

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:39 am

If it looks too crappy when I get it on the bike, I reckon a way of fitting the mesh further back inside the intakes could be devised. Painted black it would never be seen.

Dave.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:45 am

Hmm -I'll probably do someting similar to the Rockster when I get the new one (or does it have something already...... can't remember now. :( )
non quod, sed quomodo

Return to “Boxertech”