Hunting??/

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

high_tower

Hunting??/

Postby high_tower » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:30 pm

Evening All,

I've had a bit of a problem since i've owned the bike. if i sit at a constant 4-5000rpm i notice the bike hunting. this is most prominent when i'm sitting at 80 on the motorways.

i've checked and cleaned the filter, tried super unleaded to check if it was just cheap shitty fuel. now i'm not sure what to try.

would balancing the throttle bodies cure any of this of is there a few more things i can try to cure this.

the bike has vanderline system, y piece, k&n filter and a chip (not sure of the origin)

oh plus even on a long run fuel is still about 33mpg, really need to cure this as my wallet is getting less and less full with money and more full with petrol reciepts lol

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:27 pm

If only the :rtfm: smiley worked!

Search, search, search!

(Sorry)

Though you'll never get a definitive answer with a 'tuned' bike, never mind a stock one.

winger

Postby winger » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Buy a Twin Max, you'll never sort it without one,regardless of tappets etc

nab 301

Re: Hunting??/

Postby nab 301 » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:47 pm

high_tower wrote:Evening All,

I've had a bit of a problem since i've owned the bike. if i sit at a constant 4-5000rpm i notice the bike hunting. this is most prominent when i'm sitting at 80 on the motorways.

I had a similar prob with a bog std (apart from a y piece) 11s and careful balancing of the throttle bodies semed to cure it.

Nigel B.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:01 pm

This is where the chip ecu fuelling is designed to run lean to do with the emissions.
Get another chip or get a power commander.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:17 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:This is where the chip ecu fuelling is designed to run lean to do with the emissions.
Get another chip or get a power commander.
Bailey.

Or try disconnecting the lambda sensor and/or fitting a fuel pressure regulator from a 1200GS.

If either of them do the job - they are cheaper. :twisted:

sandbar

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:09 am

high_tower wrote:Evening All,

i've checked and cleaned the filter, tried super unleaded to check if it was just cheap shitty fuel. now i'm not sure what to try.

would balancing the throttle bodies cure any of this of is there a few more things i can try to cure this.

the bike has vanderline system, y piece, k&n filter and a chip (not sure of the origin)

oh plus even on a long run fuel is still about 33mpg, really need to cure this as my wallet is getting less and less full with money and more full with petrol reciepts lol

33mpg

Faaahhhhhccccccckkkkkinnn ell..... how much. I had K&N, Induct and full 'tunes on mine and couldn't get it below 40+mpg even riding as if it only had 3 gears. I didn't have a chip on mine but holy crap Batman. As suggested do a balance first of all before anything else, you may also want to try reverting to the standard chip for a trial and see if that improves matters. Failing which take it to a shrink as it obviously thinks it's an SP2 !

Toodle Pip
:wav:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

high_tower

Postby high_tower » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:55 pm

is there anything i should be careful of when putting the existing chip back in?

i was told i should make sure i've been grounded to remove static and and a few other things but wasn't sure how much faith i should have in the advice given

r550s

Postby r550s » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:54 am

be very careful not to bend the pins on the chip when you put it back in the socket - sit down, put the light on and take much too much time over it. If you bend a pin, you've just spent hundreds. As for the static thing, unless you've found yourself emitting sparks or glowing in the dark, don't worry. But don't go running across a nylon carpet in your stocking feet either. I've not had the hunting problem (1999 bike), but try searching the Pelican site. I'm only summing up the consensus from that site, but the main points are: its a characteristic of later motronics, caused by closed-loop lambda control (on part-throttle cruising, the lambda sensor takes over control of the mixture) / there are a thousand theories about a 'cure' (fit a chip, bin the lambda, wear yellow socks etc.), but proper setting-up of the throttle bodies (already mentioned in this thread) has got to be thonly way to start, then try the zero=zero setting for the throttle sensor. You could always pack in with this part-throttle girly nonsense though...

winger

Postby winger » Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:07 am

It's alway difficult diagnosing stuff on the board but if it's the surging at 3/4 thousand revs,thats pretty standard stuff,mine in the early day was a horror,a dealer couldn't sort it(it's time consuming!!!) i found a combination of fresh plugs,good fuel,and constant tinkering with a Twin Max to balance the injectors,and stangely enough the more i did it the better it got,haveing said all the that,weather and how many miles the motor has done all have a baring,i look back on the first 10,000 as a nightmare.

I'd certainley go the balancing route first,if it's the chip, that would be pretty unusual,unless it's got a BBP one and someone has been messing about.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:28 am

high_tower wrote:would balancing the throttle bodies cure any of this of is there a few more things i can try to cure this.

Throttle body balance, new plugs and check that the chip is the Vanderlinde one ie specific for the pipe.
79 miles to reserve was the best I ever did with similar combination :oops:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

high_tower

Postby high_tower » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:07 pm

cheers lads, conferms my theory (first time for everything lol).

now i need to track down a twin max or something similar. anyone got any ideas?
2006 z750 - hit and run
2001 CCM 640 supermoto - Traded
2001 BMW R1100s

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:24 pm

Where are you ?
Lloyd

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:56 pm

r550s wrote: As for the static thing, unless you've found yourself emitting sparks or glowing in the dark, don't worry. But don't go running across a nylon carpet in your stocking feet either.

Got to disagree, SD is the biggest cause of failure in ic's. The trouble is that it generaly goes unnoticed as usually it doesn't kill the component straight away but will have damaged it and started the road to failure. Common scenario is that it creates small crack/fisure somewhere on the internal circuit that then can be enlarged over a period of time when the component is cycled eventually leading to failure. As it can be some time down the line it's often not associated with SD, but it is usually the cause.

If you've got a static wrist strap then get yourself grounded and use it. If not it's worth spending the few quid to get a personal station mat & strap if you'll be doing any more handling in the future. Depends how willing you are to chance blowing your £xxx chip tbh.

HTH

Fookin hell Lloyd 79 miles ! That's got to be a record :wink:

Toodle Pip
PAul
Cheers

PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:12 pm

theseadog wrote:Fookin hell Lloyd 79 miles ! That's got to be a record :wink:
Toodle Pip
PAul

Could have been nasty - A14 back from Ipswich, after midnight there wasn't many fuel stops open :oops: Would have been quicker to drive slower and not spend half an hour looking for fuel - stupid boy :wink:
Lloyd

Return to “Boxertech”