Linked brakes

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Archie

Linked brakes

Postby Archie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:05 pm

My GS1200 EATS rear pads. No it actually CHOMPS them. Like a set in 4000 miles. :shock:

BMW fit organic pads made from ginger biscuits as standard. I have just replaced mine with sintered pads (thanks Bob) which apparently may get me from one service to the next.

It may be particular to GSs, but if your bike has linked brakes, it may be worth keeping an eye on them.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:38 am

That's 'cos you keep trying to do skids like on that Grifter you had as a kid! :lol:

winger

Postby winger » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:35 am

What flavour are your new pads then??

gripperod

Postby gripperod » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:34 am

BMW fit organic pads made from ginger biscuits as standard.

Is that why when I ride in the rain, my beautiful white wheels are covered in a black gunge which is presumably a mix of ginger biscuit and water. It takes some bloody cleaning I can tell you.

What is the recommended altenative - I want the Brake Pad equivalent of a Hob Nob. :lol:
THE FASTER SILVER AND WHITE VERSION !

Archie

Postby Archie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:11 am

winger wrote:What flavour are your new pads then??

I bought Bendix sintered pads, which seem to be army surplus rations. In texture they resemble me mum's week old rock cakes, and my dog was unable to eat them. :shock:

I thought Bendix only made washing machines, but they fitted OK.

On a more serious note, does any 11s or indeed the 12s have linked brakes?

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:17 am

The 12S doesn't have linked brakes. Mine has a nice, progressive ABS setup at the front, and what appears to be the rim v-block brakes off Archies Raleigh Grifter at the back.
In hiatus from motorcycles.

Nero

Re: Linked brakes

Postby Nero » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:49 pm

Archie wrote:My GS1200 EATS rear pads. No it actually CHOMPS them. Like a set in 4000 miles. :shock:

BMW fit organic pads made from ginger biscuits as standard. I have just replaced mine with sintered pads (thanks Bob) which apparently may get me from one service to the next.

It may be particular to GSs, but if your bike has linked brakes, it may be worth keeping an eye on them.

No, same problemo here, R11s with linked ABS. Gave up putting the expensive BM pads in long ago, now buy them from motorworks. I rarely use the rear, but guaranteed they'll be spent in 4000mls every time, conversely, I'm heavy on the front & still on the original pads at 26k!!! (but they do now need changing).

The harder the pad, the quicker the wear on the disc. The linking between front & back is far to heavily biased to the rear.

Nero

Return to “Boxertech”