Removing Petrol Tank

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

snavetrauts

Removing Petrol Tank

Postby snavetrauts » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:10 pm

Hi folks

I need to remove the tank.... did all the easy bits, namely body work, screws bolts to frame etc etc.... Just could not release the pipes even with the clamps loosened... tha actual plastic pipe was clearly well stuck to the metal ones.... any ideas. Applying heat may be a little tricky on this one.

Can anyone help with a few tips

cheers

Stuart :?: :idea: :roll:
.......~ ~
....-(@ @)-
ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

R1100S 2003. The Fast Colour. G650 Xchallenge 2008. F650CS Black 2003 SWMBO

winger

Postby winger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:41 pm

Your not trying hard enough!!!,pair of grips and twist e'm,if you can, find a pair of those plastic pliers that you clamp on brake pipes etc,stop the fuel pissing out as you pull the pipes off.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:49 pm

Hot water should help soften the rubber.

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:47 pm

As ME109 said hot water.

I also sprayed mine with wd40 and left it for a while.

Archie

Postby Archie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:10 pm

If you gently prise a well worn watchmakers screwdriver or similar between the rubber tube and the plastic pipe, then you can spray WD40 between the two. Jiggle it around a bit to distribute the WD40 and the pipe will then move easily, just like a handlebar grip. Don't use anything with sharp edges though.

winger

Postby winger » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 pm

And remember when you put it all back together fit to quick release connectors so it saves all the hassle next time.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:02 am

I was just oing to say - leave the ends of the pipeson and just cut them and insert quick relase connectors as fitted to later model GS's
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

julian

Postby julian » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:53 am

boxerpan wrote:I was just oing to say - leave the ends of the pipeson and just cut them and insert quick relase connectors as fitted to later model GS's

That's what I've got. About £20 from Motorworks IIRC. Makes a big differnece to access without the tank. Don't forget to unplug the fuel pump.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks for all your response... they came off a treat.

I bought the quick release connectors... but it is not obvious from the actual connectors (or the various manuals I have) which one has the one way function in. They both seem to have some sort of mech in them... but short of attaching to the lines and have the fuel piss out every where... it is not obvious. Motorworks did not know either (strange).

Can any one help here and save me some time.

Cheers

Stuart
.......~ ~

....-(@ @)-

ooO-(__)-Ooo

Ride due west to the sunset, turn left at the Rocky Mountains. (Jeremiah Johnson)

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:26 pm

The ones I bought had shut off valves in both the male and female sections. This then allows you to plumb one line in reverse (if that makes sense) so you can only reconnect the lines the right way round.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:42 pm

Cheers Ian.... That does make sense on both counts. I placed the connectors, male and female under the tap, and they both seemed to hold their content. Putting them on in the opposite way for each line makes great sense too... and to be honest I would not have thought of that unless you had said

great help

chers

stuart
.......~ ~

....-(@ @)-

ooO-(__)-Ooo

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:29 pm

julian wrote:About £20 from Motorworks IIRC.

That's about what I paid for a pair when I bought them for my GS a couple of years ago. When I put a big tank on the S last year I called to order them for that too and the guy at Motorworks was very apologetic - said the price they paid had gone up a lot (doubled?) and they had to pass on that increase - forty something quid for the pair, I think I paid. :shock:

Couldn't find them anywhere else for less, though.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:10 pm

I think I spotted some in Halfords last week, no idea of the price though.
they were next to the other bike stuff (tank pads etc)

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:48 pm

Yep about £40 is right approx. £20 a pair and of course you need 2 pairs.

2 questions for you....

1 When you get them you obviously have to splice into the bigger rubber tubes on the tank end. You still need a little bit of the rubber pipe (tank end) to clamp to the smaller pipes on the frame. That means all the connectors are placed under the tank..... can you get to them easily when assembled. I will be doing this tomorow anyway, but if they are then difficult to get to... what a shame.????

2 With the connectors, I ordered the pipe clamps that come with the system. Do you need a special tool to crimp the square bit so it tightens up on the inner ring.... I should have taken a piccie really... did'nt think???

Cheers folks

Stuart :?: :?:
.......~ ~

....-(@ @)-

ooO-(__)-Ooo

snavetrauts

Postby snavetrauts » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Yep about £40 is right approx. £20 a pair and of course you need 2 pairs.

2 questions for you....

1 When you get them you obviously have to splice into the bigger rubber tubes on the tank end. You still need a little bit of the rubber pipe (tank end) to clamp to the smaller pipes on the frame. That means all the connectors are placed under the tank..... can you get to them easily when assembled. I will be doing this tomorow anyway, but if they are then difficult to get to... what a shame.????

2 With the connectors, I ordered the pipe clamps that come with the system. Do you need a special tool to crimp the square bit so it tightens up on the inner ring.... I should have taken a piccie really... did'nt think???

Cheers folks

Stuart :?: :?:
.......~ ~

....-(@ @)-

ooO-(__)-Ooo

Return to “Boxertech”