Oil Filters

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Steve W

Oil Filters

Postby Steve W » Fri May 21, 2004 8:52 pm

Might seem a silly question, but can anyone tell me if all the oil filter on the 'S' is the same as those on the RS, RT, GS.
Was in Halfords and spotted they had an oil filter that fitted other 8 valve boxers but did not mention the 'S'

Steve

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Fri May 21, 2004 9:18 pm

Steve.
The last one I got form Halfords was a Champion C301, When the young erk checked his book he said it covers all 8V boxers. When I asked if it mentioned the R1100S his eyes glazed over, a puzzled look appeared and he asked if it was 8 or 16 valve!!
Mine hasn't seized yet.

Mick
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Fri May 21, 2004 11:34 pm

Mine neither and I've used 2 of them now. Champion actually make decent filters, in fact Halfords own aren't too shabby either.

I remember ages back when I had a BMW 320 - erm...that's a car BTW :shock: ) - it may actually have been my 318 can't remember :? I did a service on it using all genuine BMW bits and afterwards the oil light used to stay on for ages on a cold start up....Accompanied by the innevitable engine death rattle. I supected it was the oil filter losing it's "head of oil" overnight - it's an upside down jobbie.

I worked for BT at the time and was installing a switchboard in a local VW dealers. I mentioned the problem to the mechanic there, who told me BMW filters were total shite. They knew they had a problem with them but refused to acknowlege it (sound familiar?) He fetched me a filter for an Audi and told me to fit it - the bugger charged me I think about 9 quid for it - but it worked a treat, no more problems. Next time the car was due for a service I went and got the equivalent filter from Halfords and that was also fine - but a lot cheaper.

....Moral - BMW filters are probably crap anyway so you're better off with a cheapie - they work better :roll:

Dave 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Sat May 22, 2004 9:25 am

Check this out for a comparison of Oil Filters:

http://www.twocreeks.net/toby/oil_filters/index.shtml

Check out the Fram ! Looks like something Blue Peter could make from some old bog roll tubes and a toothpast tube lid. :lol:

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Sat May 22, 2004 9:59 am

Quote - "I have been informed by Karl Parr that BMW uses a 14 facet base, instead of the 15 facet that the aftermarket uses. This means that standard cup-type oil filter wrenches will not fit the BMW".

The Champion uses the same number of "facets" as the Gen BMW filter, my BMW filter wrench fits it fine.

Fram filters have always been ruibbish, My old man ran his own repair garage for years and he hated the things, always maintained they did far more harm than good.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Return to “Boxertech”