Another wobbly speedo

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Me-109

Another wobbly speedo

Postby Me-109 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:12 pm

And I'm not talking swimwear! :wink:

Been along the road to get my yearly certificate this afternoon and noticed my speedo giving a 10-15mph variation in speed without the back wheel similarly spinning up or the engine picking up revs. I've done the search which suggests a cable or connector under the seat/panel, rather than the sensor itself. Hopefully this is the case. It's not moved much over the past couple of months but has been on an Optimiser. I wonder if this is just a charge-type issue (no ABS lights coming on, but they are separate senders)?

If it's not too cold I may get myself into the garage later and investigate the wiring.

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Part of the service schedule is to take the sensor out of the diff carrier and give it a clean, Id probably do that first, actually I wouldnt as the bolt that holds the sensor in on my bike has sheared and its glued in with Araldite :cry:
---------------------------

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:22 am

Yep, done that as part of the servicing and elsewhere when I've changed the rear wheel bearing, the output shaft seal and the rear box oil.

Anyway I did it again last night, then traced the wiring up behind the panel to the connector. I barely touched the connector and the brown wire on the harness side snapped. Extracting the terminal to make some repairs snapped the yellow wire :x .

The ends were a little stiff but otherwise clean. Stripping the wiring back a little and baring some fresh copper I resoldered the terminals and rebuilt the connector. I could only test it by spinning the rear wheel by hand and I can see the speedo moving, so at least a signal is getting through. Until I get it back on the road I can't be sure it's properly fixed, but the ease with which the wire snapped in the first place suggests that was the fault.

Oh .... and then I was able to fit my nice new (used) tankbag. :wink:

winny2

speedo

Postby winny2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:43 pm

Mine did the same a few months ago. The speedo got more and more erratic until it stopped working completly. I traced the fault to the same brown wire which had snapped.

However, I now do have a spare sender unit and wire, should you need one. :oops:

John
1998 R1100S
1981 Rickman Predator
1960 Velocette Venom

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:57 pm

see, I shouldnt have spoke so soon, started the bike up just now, as Im warming the engine up I notice that the speedo is behaving like the Tacho, now I know the s looks fast standing still, but I got it up to 80 without moving.

Ran the bike round the block and its Ok now???????????????
Maybe I need to look at this wire?
---------------------------

Return to “Boxertech”