Petrol Splash Marks

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Delpel

Petrol Splash Marks

Postby Delpel » Sun May 23, 2004 2:13 pm

OK so we've all done it. How do you clean off the marks left by spraying your front end with petrol from the pump. I am talking about the black plastic indicator/fairing bits.
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Sun May 23, 2004 3:16 pm

Virtually impossible. I have used a geasy polish that restores the shiny black finish and masks the white discolouration. When I wash the bike I have to re-do the polish.
Regards,

Rob

Jason M

Re: Petrol Splash Marks

Postby Jason M » Sun May 23, 2004 8:24 pm

Delpel wrote:OK so we've all done it. How do you clean off the marks left by spraying your front end with petrol from the pump. I am talking about the black plastic indicator/fairing bits.

You're looking at this from the wrong angle Gus. The solution is to pump petrol over the complete bike, now be careful not to miss any bits out, then you won't notice. Probably best done whist cold I guess, though I remember filling up some arsehole place in the middle of Canada when the pump didn't cut out and it looked like I'd struck gold as it shot out all over me and a very hot bike prompting one of those 'fight or flee' moments. I stank for a week (nothing unusual there then), but was careful to refrain from lighting any farts for a fortnight, just to be safe.

Jason

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Sun May 23, 2004 9:15 pm

Rob B wrote:Virtually impossible. I have used a geasy polish that restores the shiny black finish and masks the white discolouration. When I wash the bike I have to re-do the polish.
Regards,

Rob

What Rob said. You'll have to get them painted, then it wont be a problem again.

hardnox

Postby hardnox » Mon May 24, 2004 1:16 am

Boy was I pissed off when this happened to me on the first time I fuelled up my new bike.
Because those black bits are painted you can remove the white splash stains by carefully wiping them with a cloth dampened with paint thinners.
What your doing is taking off a bit of the paint with the stain marks.
Worked for me and saves repainting.
That should be the end of the problem because after the first time, your super careful when you fill up.
It is interesting how BMW manufacture those bits out of black plastic, then paint them black.

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon May 24, 2004 9:05 am

I didn't know they were painted :shock:

Good idea with the paint thinners Hardnox. But rather than rub the finish with the thinners which could melt the plastic if you're not careful, it may be better for Del to buy a small tin of spray thinners. If it's sprayed on lightly it will still melt the paint but he'll not risk having the "drag marks" from the cloth. If you're going to do this Del you'll have to degrease it first as the petrol will have left an oily residue. Halfords sell spray on "Surface Cleaner" which is excellent stuff.

Failing all that it's probably going to just as quick to respray the whole thing black :!:

Probably worth try

Dave. 8)

P.S. - Spare a thought for my mate. We called at a garage for fuel last week in the Yorshire Dales. The guy there serves you and he spilled petrol all over Petes newly painted tank. Obviously the lacquer hadn't had time to harden properly and within 2 minutes it was starting to blister like hell........I waited 'til we got to the next petrol station to fill up, the clumsy git was going nowhere near my bike!
Last edited by Darth_1100S on Mon May 24, 2004 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon May 24, 2004 9:29 am

c/f is the answer

Lloyd

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon May 24, 2004 10:44 am

Expensive tho :shock:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon May 24, 2004 11:11 am

So is having a bike in the first place unless you can justify it by commuting/despatch riding, so c/f is AN answer.

Lloyd

beemer screamer

Postby beemer screamer » Mon May 24, 2004 12:49 pm

hi mate i use exterior trim restorer for car bumpers or pledge lemon polish it comes in a huge can and i get it from the £1 shop (dont know if youve got any in Sunny Cyprus)
it always works everytime brings all your handlebar switch housings up like new aswell.
"I never knew my father 'he died two years before i was born"

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Mon May 24, 2004 4:31 pm

Was thinking of the 'Back to Black' stuff you get at car accessories shops.
I have tried everything from WD40 to military fly spray which cleans the oil of your feet from the beaches over here.
Like the idea of carbon fibre but isn't that so last year :lol: :lol: :lol:
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue May 25, 2004 4:23 am

Delpel wrote:Like the idea of carbon fibre but isn't that so last year :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not if you use the all or nothing approach :wink: :wink:

Lloyd

Cusi

Postby Cusi » Tue May 25, 2004 3:49 pm

Del what do you expect when you only pay 45p a litre.

Cusi 8)

Mick Mac

Postby Mick Mac » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:20 pm

I know this one is a bit old but I think I've found a solution. It's called WD40. I sprayed it on a cloth and gave the indicator pods a good old rub for about five minutes and, hey presto, all the marks disappeared!

Harry

Postby Harry » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:13 pm

Mick that's bloody good timing!
I did this yesterday (bugger :oops: ) and was hunting for this thread...

much obliged. Harry

Return to “Boxertech”