R1100s Screen

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

R1100s Screen

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:27 am

My R1100S has a standard screen. Being 6ft I find the wind blast a pain in the neck above 70mph (it smacks me straight in the visor and tries to lift my helmet off). I have searched for screens and it seems that there is only a double bubble option.

Do any of you know what the options are for alternative screens (is there a taller one or a flip screen :?: ) for the R1100S and who has tried which types and what do you think of them, do they cut down on wind blast :?:

Thanks. :)
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:22 pm

What screen do you have now? BMW has 2: a low sport screen, which is usually fitted on S with low bars, or the high touring screen, which is usually fitted to S's with the high comfort bars on top of the triple.

I am 6'2", and I had the low screen and low bars and now the bubble. No problems whatsoever with wind hitting my helmet. The wind hits me about shoulder high, which imo is very nice as it lifts you up a bit and doesn't create noise around the helmet. I got the bubble for the looks, wind is about the same as the BMW sport screen.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:57 pm

Cheers Throttel Meister

Mine must be the sport screen as I have the low bars fitted under the top clamp see picture.

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190 ... one016.jpg

and http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s190 ... one020.jpg

I wonder if the taller standard screen would be better :?:
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

winger

Postby winger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:12 pm

It'll be trial and error,one mans meat etc,when i bought mine it came with two screens,the low one was fitted,tried the taller one it was a nightmare my wife thought i was messing about wobbling my head from side to side!! i wasn't,i loaned mine out to a couple of people to try before it got sold,ask on the board if you can get a loan of one,saves the cost of finding if it works for you.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks Winger.

Yes everyone's experience is also their own preference, I just want to feel as though I am in control and not about to be blown off if I am doing more than 70 (on contnental roads of course)

Now there's a Challenge: does any one have a tall standard screen that I could try out? :?:

Has anyone tried on of these http://www.bullster.com/en/catalogue-pr ... erche=moto

leasky

Postby leasky » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:08 pm

I had the same problem and tried a couple of screens before ending up with the Mira one which has the adjustable top section and the "fade to black" lower section which hides the clocks well.

I think that this topic was raised a few months back, try a search for the thread for the full story.

Basically, it works very well. The only draw-back is that I am always concerned that some bugger is going to un-screw and pinch the top bit. Not that its of any use to any-one...... unless they have had their top bit pinched. In which case....... and so it goes on.
Leasky

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 am

Decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the vario screen which is at least adjustable so I should be able to find the "right" screen without buying several to try :?

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 am

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:Decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the vario screen which is at least adjustable so I should be able to find the "right" screen without buying several to try :?

You should just buy the lower section............................ and pinch the top part off Leasky's bike :wink:

Al :oops:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:38 am

Blackal wrote:
The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:Decided to bite the bullet and have ordered the vario screen which is at least adjustable so I should be able to find the "right" screen without buying several to try :?

You should just buy the lower section............................ and pinch the top part off Leasky's bike :wink:

Al :oops:

Devious :!:

darkness

Postby darkness » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:18 pm

Hi all

Anyone got a picture or link for the double bubble screen.

Darkness

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:02 pm

Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

darkness

Postby darkness » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi

Thanks for TM for the goods.

Darkness

The Teutonic Tangerine

Vario screen fitted

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:33 am

Fitted the Vario screen yesterday evening. :P

Thinks! this will take 20 Mins.
Which it would except that one of the stupid captive nuts escaped. Hour and a half later having had to remove a side panel and the instrument surround. This is the first time I have taken the side panel off. I suspect that this piece of design was contracted out by BMW to a kindergarten in northern Italy. Who thought it would be a good idea to put an Allen screw behind the BMW badge. Whats the point of a Quick release catch when you still have to unscrew 6 screws. Quick release does not equal quick reassembly. Is it me or is removal and refitting of the side panels a real pain in the arse job? :x :x
Tried the screen this morning and seems to be working well with enough wind coming through the gap to support you at speed with the bulk going over the top of the helmet and NOT trying to rip the helmet off my head. :P

Nero

Re: Vario screen fitted

Postby Nero » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:28 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:Fitted the Vario screen yesterday evening. :P

Thinks! this will take 20 Mins.
Which it would except that one of the stupid captive nuts escaped. Hour and a half later having had to remove a side panel and the instrument surround. This is the first time I have taken the side panel off. I suspect that this piece of design was contracted out by BMW to a kindergarten in northern Italy. Who thought it would be a good idea to put an Allen screw behind the BMW badge. Whats the point of a Quick release catch when you still have to unscrew 6 screws. Quick release does not equal quick reassembly. Is it me or is removal and refitting of the side panels a real pain in the arse job? :x :x

The allen screw behind the BM badge is a poor design, get yourself a set of ball ended allen keys, taking the side panels off should be no more than 5 minutes max.

Nero

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:31 pm

"ball ended allen keys"

Thanks for the tip Nero. Yet another set of Allen Keys. Really should have used my flexible driver once I'd cracked off the tension. (Too idle to go back to the house to fetch it).

Return to “Boxertech”