Moral support

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Jason M

Moral support

Postby Jason M » Sat May 29, 2004 5:59 pm

OK - bike in lots of peices on the way towards the clutch. I'm going to have to remove the rear subframe which isn't difficult (appart from sorting out the elecrics) but it the flippin brakes that look like they're going to cause me grief.

Mine has ABS and so has solid brake pipes everywhere like a spider's legs from the modulation unit (I guess!) under the tank. It looks like I might have to disconnect some of it in order to remove the C-frame and get to the box. I'm hoping I can just disconnect it all from the frame and suspend the bits from hooks in the ceiling on bungees (top tip from Motorworks blokey) but If I have to disconnect it, is it easy to bleed the ABS system?

Chears

Jason

PS I am the only one that has to remove the rear silencers with a BFO rubber hammer and lots of sweat and blisters :twisted:

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun May 30, 2004 8:05 am

Jason,
wish you luck with your venture but cannot assist with advice on ABS since I spec'd mine without. Chris and I have replaced the solid pipework after the rear master cylinder with goodrich type to no ill effect.
My Vanderlinde was stuck solid on the under seat mounting pegs the first time I took it off and required the BFO treatment but has been fine since copperslip was added to the rubbers on reassembly.

Lloyd

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun May 30, 2004 4:11 pm

Chears Lloyd - Last time I had the silencers off I put a load of grease on the pegs - this time I'll try copperslip then :lol:

As for the hoses - yep I'd like to replace them with flexy ones but I'm sh*t scared of buggering up the system. It took me yonks to sort out my front brakes on my chundercat last time I had all the brake pistons out for a clean.

I'll try and work round what I've got I reckon

jason

stephenb

Postby stephenb » Mon May 31, 2004 9:53 am

Do not under any circumstances disconnect any of the pipes, take the system off the bike in one piece. When I did this I had to have BMW bleed the system at a cost of £200.00, they use a special machine. I have the new evo system but I am sure that it applies to the older ABS. There advice to me was that I should not have touched it. I had the bike recenly rebuilty again after my crash and gave this advice to the repairer, which they duly took. I had rebuilt the bike myself initially after the engine blew and just took the pipes off the central unit, big mistake. It is possible to take off the system without disconnecting anything, again this applies to the evo system but I do not think they are that different in their location on the bike

Stephen B

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Mon May 31, 2004 10:06 am

Chears Stephen

I've not disconnected anything from the brakes at all (thank god!). I've managed to remove everything else around it including the C-Frame etc and just suspended the brake lines and caliper from the ceiling.

Sounds like that was a good move then :lol:

Jason

crucial

Postby crucial » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:23 am

Jason, I only saw your message this morning, have sent you an email.

Cheers

Paul.

Return to “Boxertech”