Footrest lowering

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

air_cooled67

Footrest lowering

Postby air_cooled67 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:34 am

I was toying with the idea of lowering the footrests on my S. I did a quick search on the net and was horrified at the price! Am I right in thinking all you get is a strip of drilled billet aluminium for each side and maybe something to extend the gear change linkage? If so I may consider making some myself as I will soon have access to a cnc mill so it will be a good practice piece. Any pictures or dimensions would help though. Who knows I may even make more than one set....

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:50 am

I've just recently got a set and yes you're pretty much correct you'll need

2 x Lowering blocks
2 x Pedal link extenders
1 x Mounting bracket for rear brake master cylinder

If you want I can picture and measure these for you if you're wanting to try making some .....

Drop me a PM and let me know

Cheers
PAul
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Mon Jun 07, 2004 10:18 am

If you fancy a run down to Poole, pop by and take a close look at mine.

Rgds,

Rob

bernsmartco

Postby bernsmartco » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:34 pm

I was thinking of buying some of these just to gain about 25 - 30 mm but the price means that I will put up with the discomfort for the time being.
I did think of making my own but access to a milling machine was not very easy so like a lot of good intentions it was not progressed.
If you decide to go ahead with making some then let me know as hopefully the costs over several sets might be much lower than shop prices.

There was some guy on the BMW club site that had made his own but he was not very forthcoming when I asked him for the info.
Ride safely
Bern.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:28 pm

Okay I'm doing the pics and measurements this afternoon and will post them tonight.

Cheers
PAUl
Cheers

PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Steve W

Postby Steve W » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:58 pm

Hi
Both Julian & I brought a lowering kit from Australia - I seem to remember quite cheap compared with the US versions.
I will post the details tonight when I have found the details.

Steve

boxerpan

Re: Footrest lowering

Postby boxerpan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:20 pm

air_cooled67 wrote:I was toying with the idea of lowering the footrests on my S. I did a quick search on the net and was horrified at the price! Am I right in thinking all you get is a strip of drilled billet aluminium for each side and maybe something to extend the gear change linkage? If so I may consider making some myself as I will soon have access to a cnc mill so it will be a good practice piece. Any pictures or dimensions would help though. Who knows I may even make more than one set....

You'll be needing more padding in your seat or a GS, never mind lowering the pegs :)

Lloyd

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:12 pm

theseadog wrote:Okay I'm doing the pics and measurements this afternoon and will post them tonight.

Cheers
PAUl

Hi Paul

I've got the John Olive kit and it's presently off the bike. I only live about a mile from Simon so I'm going to drop them round for him to play with. You might have a different kit though so it would be good to compare and contrast!

jason

air_cooled67

Postby air_cooled67 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:39 pm

The more information I have the better. Comparing diffent makes would be interesting as well. If there is enough interest I may knock up some extra sets. I havent got access to the mill yet as its not been set up. Should be a month or two I hope. I will keep you all posted.

craigtvw

Postby craigtvw » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:05 am

Place me on your list of future buyers, I too feel the need for the extra length, does it effect the leaning?

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:09 am

craigtvw wrote:Place me on your list of future buyers, I too feel the need for the extra length, does it effect the leaning?

It certainly does - best get the short torque arm to raise the back end up to compensate :wink:

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:13 pm

Jason M wrote:
craigtvw wrote:Place me on your list of future buyers, I too feel the need for the extra length, does it effect the leaning?

It certainly does - best get the short torque arm to raise the back end up to compensate :wink:

Still sounds cheaper to put an extra inch of foam in the seat :evil:

Devils advocaat :D

air_cooled67

Postby air_cooled67 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:14 am

I now have Jasons lowering kit on my dining room table waiting to be measured up. Any luck with measuring your kit for a comparison Paul theSeadog?

Bikerbear

Postby Bikerbear » Fri Jul 09, 2004 9:37 pm

Increasing the height of the seat with foam doesn't always work - it is greatly dependant on the weight of the rider - lightweight OK anything more not.

I believe that if your uncomfortable on the S as is then lowering the pegs will increase comfortability - Can't find the damn Wunderlich brochure to look at the price of the kit anyone know what it is in there?

Ken
If you can't make a decision your a bloody nuisance.

stephenb

Postby stephenb » Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:52 pm

My local orthopedic surgeon does a white u wait leg reducing kit, knocks two inches off your lower leg, makes it easier to fit clothes and makes you dick look longer, comes with two stainless steel pins, three months supply of pain killers and some wonder web for your trousers hems. Makes fitting bike boots a bit of a shit though.

Stephen
If at first you dont suceed then try try and try again, then stop and offer her money

Return to “Boxertech”