Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dave H

Postby Dave H » Tue May 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi
Just joined and trawling through the past topics. Going for a test ride tomorrow on a 04 boxer cup with only 4000miles on.
Is there anything I need to be aware of, or read up on more.
presently running a blackbird but bored to death with it, time for something different
Thanks

madman

Postby madman » Tue May 20, 2008 4:15 pm

My wife went from a Blackbird to the 1100S and now she would never go back. I think you would need a long test ride to realise what fun the 1100 is.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

stoney

Postby stoney » Tue May 20, 2008 4:34 pm

Nice one Dave. Good to have another local trixster. Where are you going rainbow or Jeffries?
Andy

Motostratos

Postby Motostratos » Tue May 20, 2008 4:37 pm

You will enjoy it, but you may not understand why on a short test ride :( I bought my '04 BCR new, after many years of revvy jap four cylinders and took me a while to realise, that you don't need to rev the nackers off it to get anywhere fast :oops:

Use the fab torque properly and it is blinding, along with the confidence inspiring handling :D

Mine gets used for commuting, short and long haul touring and the odd track day and how many bikes do all of that v. well ? Totally brilliant. :D

BUY IT !!
2009 HP2 Sport
2004 BoxerCup Replika
1979 Laverda Montjuic MK1
Honda CBR600RR race bike

Dave H

Postby Dave H » Tue May 20, 2008 4:54 pm

stoney, its a visit to rainbow, are they any good. they have advised a couple of hours road test.
Motostratos i'm not from the revvy 4 background had mostly V twins, last one was a rosso corsa moto guzzi lemans, so not going in completely blind

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Tue May 20, 2008 4:56 pm

presently running a blackbird but bored to death with it, time for something different

Gromit are you listening :lol: :lol:
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

stoney

Postby stoney » Tue May 20, 2008 5:21 pm

Dave H wrote:stoney, its a visit to rainbow, are they any good. they have advised a couple of hours road test.

You won't go wrong with rainbow. I prefer dealing with Ian or Shaun rather then Nathan on sales.

Let us know how it goes.
Andy

doghouse

Postby doghouse » Tue May 20, 2008 5:40 pm

Only had mine a 1100s a few weeks having come from a succession of jap fours, so here's my thoughts for what there worth.

It will vibrate more than your used to but dont let that put you off as its not the numbing variety and fades into the backround as you get used to it.

The switchgear is a bit of a pig until you get used to it, again not a reason not to buy it.

It will seem a bit underpowered compared to a blackbird but all the power is usable, and the suspension means your faster into your favorite corners , which is a nice bonus.

As previously mentioned they do take a bit of getting used to, you will not get a real feel for it on a test ride, they are definately a bike that grows on you so don't go by your initial impression.

The build quality is not what you might think, so have a good look around for corrosion. With such low miles check the suspension adjusters aren't seized.

Word on the forum is these engines take a lot of miles to run in, so with only 4000 miles it will improve a bit as far a smoothness etc is concerned.

If you really fancy a change and want a bike for real life road riding they're a good bike.

(The above is the opinion of Doghouse and should not be confused with fact or the opinions of the more knowledgable.) :wink:
All problems can be fixed with the correct application of a big enough hammer.

ianbcr

Postby ianbcr » Tue May 20, 2008 7:54 pm

dave,you can check to see if the cat has been removed,but you wont know if its been chipped unless they know because its under the tank.but if the cat is still on,it aint done,had mine 1yr and love it but i had to do the afore mentioned myself as it came bog standard, also having a TLR1000 the first thing i noticed was,"god a bike that actually corners". being 6'7" i find the bcr most comfy,with the high seat thats what first bought my attention to it, with its looks, you dont see many about. i think you will be pleasently supprised.
Your born with a certain amout of heart beats, Dont waste them on exersise. [smilie=rooster.gif]

04 boxer cup rep. Gone but not forgoten
99 tlr1000 (V twin) tricked.
Indian Roadmaster Elite
Mercedes EQC 400

Dave H

Postby Dave H » Fri May 23, 2008 8:34 pm

Had the test ride, disappeared for three hours.
compared to the blackbird
the gearbox is clonky, vibrates at 4k mirrors blur but smooth out above.
apears to have no power to speak of, and why the hell is it so tall. I'm 5'10 and was on tip toe.

pulled over ( couldn't find the stand at first) switched head to Moto guzzi mode and it then Gelled.

BOUGHT IT

54 plate BCR Y piece, luggage, 2 new tyres. don't know if its chipped
collect next Saturday

rode back on the blackie, very very quick, but very sterile. it also felt heavier in the corners compared to BCR

Just got to remember the legs are a bit on the short side when I stop

boylucifer

Postby boylucifer » Fri May 23, 2008 10:36 pm

I don't often comment on here... but the post above made me feel that I really needed to. I can sympathise - a lot - with the 5'10, and tiptoes comment..... November of last year I agreed a deal with a private seller in north Wales and drove down without ever having ridden one (in fact I think I possibly hadn't ever seen an '04 BCR in the flesh) and when the guy opened the shed/garage my dad said there was a look of outright horror on my face. We had just came down the steepest, potholed, 'track' of a driveway and I couldn't see any chance at all of being able to ride it out of there..... ah well, I handed over the cash, rode it home (300 or so miles), made an appointment to take it for a new rear tyre and 1000 miles later I love it...
and the sign said long haired freakish people need not apply...

Return to “Boxertech”