Chip advise please

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxersimp

Chip advise please

Postby Boxersimp » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:16 pm

I am looking for some advice please on a suitable chip for a 2004 Boxercup with the lasers and a y piece fitted.

Guess i am looking for a tried and tested chip with good results and no hassle,any help and info would be appeciated.

Thanks
Am i to young for this cycle,,,,,,,,,,

winger

Postby winger » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:39 pm

As someone who's probably spent as much on his S as the original asking price,i'd avoid one like the plague,unless you can get you hands on the one that they use in the boxercup racers!!! and they have to give those back!,the hassle that Malc had with his cured me of any such thoughts!!,if money is no object and you want to be the pathfinder!!! SJ BMW have a power commander.

Chris

a-jay26

BB Power Chip

Postby a-jay26 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:32 pm

I have got a 2002/03 Boxer cup and I fitted the Lazer exhausts and a BB Power chip. I can select from three different programs via a switch that I installed as it depends on what pins you join together in the fuse box. Would I recomend spending £250 on it......the answer is no!! I can't tell a blind bit of difference between it all and the original. You would be far better spending the money on advanced riding lessons to make you go faster.

I am sure that on a dyno it is better, but my bike pops and farts like nothing on earth and also fitting the chip is a real pain as the box of tricks is under the fuel tank, has anti-tamper screws, is water tight sealed and a royal pain to do....leave it alone!!

Sorry, but I agree with the chap up above!!

Best of Luck
Andy Stewart :wink:

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:20 pm

At the end of the day whatever floats your boat, but I'd have to agree that I'd pop for Advanced training before a chip.

Having done all the Dynojetting malarky on various previous bikes, I joined the IAM last year and can honestly say that I ride faster and smoother ( not to mention much safer ) than I ever did with any tuning mods.

Try your local IAM group as they generally are either free or you only make a token contribution for your observers petrol after the basic subs.
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Boxersimp

Postby Boxersimp » Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:34 pm

Thanks guys i can see some of these chips can and may give hassle.
Am i to young for this cycle,,,,,,,,,,

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:39 pm

Just stick in a K1200 fuel pressure reg, it'll do the job and at £26 its a bit cheaper than a chip and less hassle to change.

winger

Postby winger » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:16 pm

If you trawl back through the postings on the Yahoo board when Malc burned both pistons on his S,it'll give you some insite as to why i've not bothered,there are umpteen ways to improve your S,that are a lot less risky!!!.

Chris

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:26 pm

Dudes,

If you are running the laser pipes and the y-peice, then you are probably running your bike a bit to lean for comfort. They come from the factory in standard trim with the Motronic running lean in the first place. So the regulator or chip will richen it all up. I have the laser powerchip (which I won on ebay for £80.00 :lol: :lol: ) and it runs a lot better. Picks up quicker, less wobble at tick over, no more popping or farting on over run. Peice of piss to fit. Took me 90 minutes from parking the bike up to tighten them stupid screws behind the badge. My only gripe is my dealer are a bunch of daygo inbreds and will no doubt not honour my remaining warrenty.

So in answer to your question. Fit the chip that was developed for your exhaust mods and enjoy.
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

steve7

Postby steve7 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:42 pm

just put a set of staintunes on my 03 BCR when asked if it needed to be chipped was told no.I must say these pipes are real quality and have a removeable baffle sounds nice without them, seems to pick up quicker aswell .

air_cooled67

Postby air_cooled67 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:46 am

I am running a Zach Y piece and laser end cans (with the dB killers still in) with a BB Power chip set to stage 3 (From memeory) So far it has been OK even on extended 100mph runs. I will put it on a dyno soon and check that its not running lean.

Return to “Boxertech”