Digi Gear Indicator

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Steve S

Digi Gear Indicator

Postby Steve S » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:31 pm

Hi has anyone fitted one to an S, can you help with wires etc, Cheers Steve.

minivin

Postby minivin » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:20 pm

looking for seventh gear are we ;) been tempted myself, believe there are two versions with one being a red LED while the other a blue LED, you might find blue a more visisble colour in situations where sun light reflection is a nuisance
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:05 pm

Already got the unit, had it on another bike but theres no instructions for BMW, HELP!!!.........Steve

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:53 pm

I'm in the process (still) of building a circuit which makes a light come on when 6th gear is selected as this is the only one I ever get wrong.

For the digital indicators you will need to pick up the speedo and tacho pulses from the back of the instrument cluster. IIRC one is a black wire and the other yellow but I'd have to check to be certain.

gus

Postby gus » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:41 pm

Andy
What ever happened to that shift light you were cobbling together?
gus

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:13 pm

It worked fine but the adjustment was a bit too course so I've taken the opportunity to modify it while the bikes off the road. Should have it perfected by the time I get the bike back.

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:27 am

Thanks Stempy those colours match with other information Ive got, BTW looking for 7th gear isnt realy a problem on BMWs because the lever moves up freely when in 6th so as to give you a clue, not so on any other gearbox, Im just fitting it cos Ive got it, Steve

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:25 pm

Got it fitted after much plastic surgery but it wouldnt program, phoned Datatool and the unit ive got wont work with BMW electronics so if I send it to them they will replace it FOC with the latest model, damn fine chaps I thought, so its back to taking off all the plastic again tomorrow to remove it, anyway Ive got the fitting info now if anyone needs it, Steve ps never seen exhaust pipes glow red until today (running the bike in the garage on the centre stand)

Bikerbear

Postby Bikerbear » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:45 am

[quote="Steve S"]again tomorrow to remove it, anyway Ive got the fitting info now if anyone needs it quote]

Steve where does the gear indicator go whats the best option for the actual part and can you send the fitting details over? You don't have a pic of it do you of the fitting!
If you can't make a decision your a bloody nuisance.

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:18 pm

Ive got to wait now for the new model to be sent to me, if you buy one make sure its the modified unit, datatool called it 'smooth digi' I havent positioned it yet but just above the neutral lamp looks best, I can give you the wire colours if needed. Steve

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:46 am

Steve S wrote:Got it fitted after much plastic surgery but it wouldnt program, phoned Datatool and the unit ive got wont work with BMW electronics so if I send it to them they will replace it FOC with the latest model, damn fine chaps I thought, so its back to taking off all the plastic again tomorrow to remove it, anyway Ive got the fitting info now if anyone needs it, Steve ps never seen exhaust pipes glow red until today (running the bike in the garage on the centre stand)

I'm interested in doing this too - can you tell us what the unit consits of?

Is it a black box that needs to be mounted somewhere under the tank with a readout to be fixed near the instruments??

Or is it all one unit with the readout on one face with wires coming out??

How many connections are there and is it easy to find the correct wires on the bike without a manual??

I keep not quite reaching 2nd on fast pull-offs. :roll:
non quod, sed quomodo

Steve S

Postby Steve S » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:17 pm

Hi, Im still having problems programiing the gear indicator Datatool cant help because they havent fitted one to an S yet. I still need the wire colours for the speedo and tacho pulses at the back of the instruments to make sure Ive got the correct ones, cheers Steve

Return to “Boxertech”