So, which y pipe/silencer is the best??

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

oyster

So, which y pipe/silencer is the best??

Postby oyster » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:44 pm

I want to change the stock exhaust system (R1100S, 1999, Lennie's, K&N, with main stand) for gain in low/mid power. I dont want to terrorise the OAPs in the district (or the police) with too much noise. There are four or five readily available systems, the Ztechnick titanium looks promising; the Black hole looks great - until you get to the silencer ( looks like my neighbour's dog about to leave another pile), Zach, Staintune or Laser. Will they all need new chips? Has anyone actuallly put these up against each other? True gains, straightforward fitting, best value for money, whole or part system?
Let the debate begin!
Of course, if anyone wants to part with their 'as new' system, I would be biased.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:52 pm

Oyster,
IMHO best value for money has to be the Zach mid pipe with the stock end cans. Will probably suit your needs from what you say.
Zach pipe is easier to fit than the Lazer as it is in two parts and is better made.
Peter.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:32 pm

Oyster

I'm surprised you did the K&N and lennies before the exhaust but anyway, here's my understanding of the 'zorsts available.

Zach Y piece - £225 (ish) from Motorworks, just replaces the CAT - No chip required although the other mods you list might require some more fuel.

VanderLinde - £? secondhand, no longer available new apparently. Come with their own chip. Supposedly the best performance. (I know where there's one available for early S' if anyones interested).

Staintune - £552 from Woody's, full system (CAT onwards) in stainless steel - No chip required although, again, the other mods you list might require some more fuel - see FIM chips below.

Laser - £650 including chip from... err... full system (CAT onwards) in stainless steel - Supposed to be good although I don't believe the 'additional 10 - 12 bhp' claims of the guy I spoke to.

Arrow system - £ker-ching from... Bailey, help! Seems to run fine on the standard chip and gives impressive performance.

Black hole - Yuk :D

As for chips, there is the switchable BB Power available from Motorworks; the FIM Chip tuned for the Staintune / + Lennies induct / + Lennies Cams and lastly (there are probably others) Superchips

I'm about to fit a Staintune so can't comment on the performance as yet. Maybe some of the others could advise on the other systems and any side by side comparisons.

HTH

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

winger

Postby winger » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:22 pm

I thought the same about Lennies and the K+N,seems a bit horse before the cart syndrome,pipes like the others have said cat replacement and standard cans,if money isn't a problem,i'd fit the Arrow system,which Bailey has.

Chris

steve7

Postby steve7 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:59 pm

got the staintunes on my BCR loud without the baffles in easy to fit aswell spoke to both laser and woody"s (staintune) before choosing which to go for both very helpfull but decided on the staintunes as was told no other mod needed very good quality. When i had my storm lots of people had them and not a bad word against them so took the plunge

steve7

Postby steve7 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:06 pm

Hey adam let me know how you get on fitting the staintunes and what you think of them

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:06 pm

Still say a mid pipe and put the rest of your cash towards some decent shocks, Now that will make a difference and won't make the OAPs run for cover.
Peter.

steve7

Postby steve7 » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:11 pm

Thats the next job any shocks get the nod or are ohlins the best

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:29 pm

Shocks,
Again its down to how much you wish to spend, £1000+ for fully adjustable Ohlins or Maxtons £650ish custom built Technoflex/Wilbers with Preload and Rebound damping adjustment. I paid £660 in May for a pair of Wilbers with Preload Rebound Damping and Ride Height Adjustment, It really is down to personal preference I doubt I would be able to get the best from top quality items with infinite adjustment but do know that the Wilbers or Technoflex make a noticable difference.
Peter.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:41 pm

What Peter said re pipes and springy bits :)

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:05 am

steve7 wrote:Hey adam let me know how you get on fitting the staintunes and what you think of them

Steve

Out of interest, do you have the pannier rails fitted to your BCR? I've just read on pelican that they are a bitch to fit with the Staintunes in place.

Any chance of a pic if you have?

Cheers

Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

steve7

Postby steve7 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:38 am

No adam no pannier rails on my bike so no help there im afraid

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:53 pm

Adam - Carl Tyrer (ct981) had rails on his S - he had Staintunes. This bike then went to Keiron so perhaps worth a PM??

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:14 pm

Gromit wrote:Adam - Carl Tyrer (ct981) had rails on his S - he had Staintunes. This bike then went to Keiron so perhaps worth a PM??

Good thinking, thanks.

I'm not overly concerned (over dramatic on pelican), I just didn't want to get it all stripped, staintunes in place and then find I couldn't get the rails back on... that's if I need to take them off of course.

winger

Postby winger » Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:55 pm

As far as suspension goes,i've never found the front shock a problem,it's only the rear that needs replaceing,which cuts the cost down.

It also helps with the steering,standard short shock at the front,ajustable shock at the back(ask Adam and Andy),as far as which shock to buy??? just think there's not any point in controlling the shock with rebound,if you can't control it on the compression.

Although any aftermarket shock will be an improvement over the standard item and i include the boxercup versions in that as well cuz their all the same

Chris

Return to “Boxertech”