Front Carbon Mudguard Prob

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Yerman

Front Carbon Mudguard Prob

Postby Yerman » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:31 am

Hi all,
just made the most stupidest of mistakes and pushed my lovely 2004 mandarin/titanium pride of joy back a couple of feet and forgot to remove the bloody wheel lock. :shock: Result is a cracked carbon mudguard, the crack/mushed area is about the size of a 50p piece. Ideally I know it should be replaced but BMW price them at £180, a bit steep so i looked on the net and found them for £110.
Then i had a thought maybe to remove the mudguard, fill and sand the small damaged area on the edge, then respray with a "mandarin" coloured border round the edge of the guard. Would look a bit different but also unique,----comments please.
Also i tried to remove the guard by removing the 4 alan type bolts but it seems to be attached at the top of the mudguard too, do i need to remove the front wheel?
Any help or advice on removing, respraying carbon fibre / primers etc would be greatly appreciated
2004 R1100S - Mandarin + Titanium Grey

gus

Postby gus » Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:45 am

Yes,you have to remove the front wheel and you find a 10mm bolt.Spraying the mudguard.A friend of mine sprayed mine.Flatted down with 1200 wet/dry,primered(may want to use high build primer to cover any damage to surface)painted and laquered.And get a lanyard so you dont forget to remove your lock again!
gus

bigbeemer2004

Postby bigbeemer2004 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:39 am

Jeez - must be Norn Irn thing - I did exactly the same thing last week and have slightly mangled my guard too :oops: . Mine's sort of cracked but not completely broken.

I'm going to try bodging up the inside with some epoxy and aluminium mesh and then see if I can disguise the outside in some way (stick on paint protector film or stickers or something not too crappy looking) until I can afford a replacement.

Quite flimsy, thon carbon fibre. I take it there is no plastic alternative available anywhere that anyone is aware of?
Nick

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:55 pm

I mentioned in an earlier post that a stray pheasant attacked mine, but came off worst. I temporarily repaired the crack with glass fibre mat and resin and ended up with just a small mark on exterior. PAck parts do a full carbon guard for €139 (+tax + shipping I assume) and Motorworks suggested an Imberger carbon one for about £150.

Having just bought a Remus Y cat eliminator I'm still saving, so the temporary repair is looking more and more permanent.

Cheers

Ian

Return to “Boxertech”