northern spain... Picos

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

boxerscott

northern spain... Picos

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 pm

Happened across this on the Ducati forum, I think it sums up why you do not have to burn rubber going down to Andulucia or South of France/Northern Italy. We are there in September for a more extensive tour other than Cantabria and a re visit to one of our best ever stay overs at the Hotel De Oso (Cosagaya) near Potes. Quality roads, inexpensive, amazing scenery and un congested roads. Counting down the days to early September. :)

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/b ... iew.52598/
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

nab 301

Re: northern spain... Picos

Postby nab 301 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:50 pm

Looks good , You won't be air bnb 'ing it then? I never realized Ducati were naming their bikes after medical conditions :shock:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:11 pm

Amazing roads around Potes, rode it for a couple of days before heading down to Catalunya
10 KTM RC8

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:04 pm

nab 301 wrote:Looks good , You won't be air bnb 'ing it then? I never realized Ducati were naming their bikes after medical conditions :shock:
Definitely not air b and bee`n it, do not fancy taking my chances with anyone sub letting an accommodation or not having required standard certification or appropriate insurance cover. Another third world one click www. scalper.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Deffo have to agree with you Chris, we have had around 4 trips on the bike and 2 in the car, in fact Julie and me have just returned from our trip, although this time we just hugged the coast instead of exploring the mountains again, very very enjoyable, the ferry is getting a lot more expensive due to the exchange rate 'cos of all the brexit bollox, but it is still a fantastically affordable area to visit.
My Recommendations are

Cangas de Onis is a great town to base yourself in for a few nights, plenty of reasonably priced hotels with secure underground parking and enough bars and restaurants to keep you entertained of an evening, and close to some of the best roads.

the road from Ribadesella on the coast to Cangas de Onis and on to Riano is just stunning and is an absolute must do/see.

The road from Potes to Panes ( the pots n pans road as we refer to it) is amazing.

Llanes has a brilliant hotel that is right on the beach and just a short walk from the town, another great place to base yourself for a few days whilst you explore the mountains. Can't remember the name right now but pm me and I'll send it to you.

Sop me if I'm boring you

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:58 pm

Boxered wrote:Deffo have to agree with you Chris, we have had around 4 trips on the bike and 2 in the car, in fact Julie and me have just returned from our trip, although this time we just hugged the coast instead of exploring the mountains again, very very enjoyable, the ferry is getting a lot more expensive due to the exchange rate 'cos of all the brexit bollox, but it is still a fantastically affordable area to visit.
My Recommendations are

Cangas de Onis is a great town to base yourself in for a few nights, plenty of reasonably priced hotels with secure underground parking and enough bars and restaurants to keep you entertained of an evening, and close to some of the best roads.

the road from Ribadesella on the coast to Cangas de Onis and on to Riano is just stunning and is an absolute must do/see.

The road from Potes to Panes ( the pots n pans road as we refer to it) is amazing.

Llanes has a brilliant hotel that is right on the beach and just a short walk from the town, another great place to base yourself for a few days whilst you explore the mountains. Can't remember the name right now but pm me and I'll send it to you.

Sop me if I'm boring you

Steve
That`s brilliant Steve. All Noted :) Can not wait. Ferry is pricey but is so popular, we had trouble finding sailings when we booked at Xmas. You have to book a year in advance to get the Commodore Cabins We have had to sail out of Plymouth (Best Boat, fastest crossing) and sail back to Portsmouth. We are travelling down to Portsmouth with bike in van, leaving van at hotel , riding on to Plymouth next day. Our mates tried to book on new years day and could not get an outward sailing from any port for the same period. They have to put up with French toll roads and expensive services.

Chris
Fiat Panda.

Al

Postby Al » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:30 am

Chris, we are not far off your route to Plymouth, if we are around you would be most welcome to stop off for a coffee etc, drop me a PM.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:10 am

Al wrote:Chris, we are not far off your route to Plymouth, if we are around you would be most welcome to stop off for a coffee etc, drop me a PM.

Al.
Aye Al, sounds good I will be in touch. 7 weeks and counting!
Fiat Panda.

GunK190

Postby GunK190 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Have just booked a one-way crossing for next June 2018 from Portsmouth to Santander £200 with an inboard cabin with en suite, did try for September but just couldn't get the right crossing already. Though 2018 sailings have only just gone on sale?
Plan on a few days in the Picos before heading off to the Pyrenees and if time allows into the French Alps before heading to Caen for the ferry back to Portsmouth. The video was well worth watching along with some GPX links, thanks for posting

Steve W

Postby Steve W » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:44 am

Also out in Potes early September (6th - 11th ) out & back via Portsmouth.

Also have 3 routes available for Garmin based around Potes - let me know if you would like them

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:09 pm

Steve W wrote:Also out in Potes early September (6th - 11th ) out & back via Portsmouth.

Also have 3 routes available for Garmin based around Potes - let me know if you would like them
Aye Steve that would be helpful!

regards to you both

Chris and A
Fiat Panda.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm

Am busy possin my 12r lc around Northern Spain, fully loaded with pillion. So far this bike is feckin amazing, however the novelty of the gear assist pro is wearing off and not have had any other manufacture system to compare with I am thinking it may be pretty basic.? Not seamless and further development needed. Only fly in the ointment I may add :)

Christmas
Fiat Panda.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:10 am

Hi Chris,

Glad to hear you are both having a grand time. Regarding gear assist pro, I find on my RS that 1->2 and 2->3 can be quite rough, if you are not accelerating hard, but all the rest of the up changes are smooth after that. On down shifts, the throttle must be fully closed for the down shift to work OK. I can go all the way down the box without any problems on my RS.

Cheers and see you in Hawes,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

70tno

Postby 70tno » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:00 pm

I shall be in the Picos by this Monday afternoon on my R1200RS, where Gear Shift Pro should be in its element!
Agree with Paul's comments, it doesn't work well between 1st and 2nd gears, but great after that.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Black 1100s

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:56 pm

mmmn, not so sure, anyone tried any other manufacturer version? am thinking that bmw will get it seamless eventually, as hard as I try to get it silky it has square edges that need rounding off. Remember the first abs servo system they brought out for bikes?
Fiat Panda.

Return to “Days Out”