Bike magazine track day

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

tanneman

Bike magazine track day

Postby tanneman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 pm

At Snetterton next week 16 April. Have a look on the MSVT website (formerly Club MSV) for the rules regarding a Bike Magazine track day. Road legal bikes only. Robert Bensley has set up a group so we can enjoy a 10% discount when 10 or more has booked. Please call 01474 875 218 and quote EoEB or East of England Bikers to secure a place. Weather looks good.

http://www.clubmsv.com/bike-home/event- ... uctid=1806
http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/snette ... her/709354
'Let me check my concernometer.'

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:28 am

Just imagine this. You’re at Snetterton, it is a beautiful sunshine day, no work to worry about and you’ve ridden to the track that morning. Loads of other riders on their road bikes are out on track and you are all having a great time. There is some banter going and you are meeting new mates. It is refreshing and nothing else matters other than having a good time. It is motorcycling track day heaven on your road bike.

I wasn’t planning to go but an e-mail from Robert Bensley had me thinking. He had set up a group and if we reach 10 riders in the group a discount of 10% will be applied making £89 track day even cheaper. Discounted fun; oh yes. The weather forecasted a day much like the baby bears porridge, not too warm and not too cold, just right although a bit blustery. I have done a few track days before but have never bothered to remove any bits like the mirrors and indicators before. This time I decided that I should do it. Wow, what a difference it made to riding on track. The lack of mirrors helps you focus on what is in front and makes the day safer. The day started as any other track day with noise testing and signing on followed by the briefing. Not a lot of riders turned up for the day and we were split into 2 groups. The Novice and Intermediate/Advanced was to rotate every 20 minutes giving us a lot of track time. After my last crash at Snetterton I didn’t feel very confident and opted for the novice group on advice from Peter. I wasn’t alone as it was a bit of a mix of novices and some intermediate riders. It turned out to be a good decision and I was able to build my confidence, explore the braking limits of me and the bike and learned the circuit concentrating to hit the same braking marker, turn-in spot, apex and gear change. Later in the day it started to become a rhythm and allowed me to explore the speed of each corner safely. It ended with Clive and me following each other. This was the best part of the day of riding in synchronisation with your mate and I wished for a camera to capture the moment.

I must add that overall the day was excellent and I would definitely recommend a Bike Magazine Track Day to anybody who wants to dip their toes into track riding or to have the occasional fun. The people are courteous both on and off track and the atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed. Even though I found myself going faster than the rider in front you gave him a wide berth and picked your overtake as to not upset the rider, we are all sharing the track and the emphasis is on enjoyment. Unfortunately during the day on the second session a rider had a serious accident which stopped all track time for about an hour and a half while he was being readied to be airlifted by the East Anglian Air Ambulance. This is where our sponsorship (Oakley MC) to the EAAA makes a big difference. The incident didn’t distract from the day being really enjoyable and is a really rare occurrence to have such a serious accident. Would I do it again, yes, as I’m typing this my body is aching from the effort after 10 sessions.

Good old R1100S, I really like that bike.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Return to “Days Out”