Scottish weekend?

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:20 pm

slparry wrote:
Dai wiskers wrote:Three skin hotel sounds good to me
Wonder if we will have to go outside for a smoke

I think it's a legal requirement nowadays.

It has a great swimming pool etc, nice bar with bar snacks and a restaurant for more formal meals.

Some of the landings decor is still a work in progress but it's always done us proud as a first and last stop of point especially at 22 to 25 quid a night

Sorry Steve straight over your head
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:42 pm

lol
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Well I leave on a scottish tour in 2 weeks over the early may bank holiday weekend. Leaving Glasgow and heading up the east coast through Inverness and 1st night stop in Wick (270 miles!!) The 2nd day it's John O'Groats (mandatory photo by signpost!!) Dunnethead lighthouse (furthest north piece of mainland Uk)
Then on via the north coast and all the way down the west coast via Ullapool to Dornie for the 2nd night. (260 miles) 3rd day is Applecross then return let to Glasgow a full circumnavigation of the coast of Scotland!! Total approx 750 miles!!)

I can't wait just need to keep my fingers crossed for OK weather!!! I'll Dow separate thread with photos and videos as I have the GoPro ready and waiting!!!

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:57 pm

sounds great, this year we're stopping at Erskine as usual then up to Brora then up to John o Groats and across the north coast to ullapool then back down to Erskine and home .....

I don't care what the weathers like .... it's bike time :) ... although it's nicer if it's not blowing a howling gale of course
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Steve when you guys doing this tour???

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:22 pm

StreetFlatTwin wrote:Steve when you guys doing this tour???

August Bank Holiday weekend, so Friday 23rd to Tuesday 27th wanna join us?
--
Steve Parry

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:30 pm

StreetFlatTwin wrote:Well I leave on a scottish tour in 2 weeks over the early may bank holiday weekend. Leaving Glasgow and heading up the east coast through Inverness and 1st night stop in Wick (270 miles!!)

I can't wait just need to keep my fingers crossed for OK weather!!! I'll Dow separate thread with photos and videos as I have the GoPro ready and waiting!!!

Err- have you been to Wick before? :shock:

Al :?
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:20 am

No never been to Wick before....but to be honest we wanted to get as far north in day 1 do we can enjoy day 2 (and 3) with plenty if time and it seemed the best compromise as far north AND having somewhere decent to stay.

Anyway Al enlighten me of the joys of Wick.....what do I have to look forward to??

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:13 am

We went to Wick.It appeared that Scotland had its arsehole at the top.We didn`t stop.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:51 am

StreetFlatTwin wrote:No never been to Wick before....but to be honest we wanted to get as far north in day 1 do we can enjoy day 2 (and 3) with plenty if time and it seemed the best compromise as far north AND having somewhere decent to stay.

Anyway Al enlighten me of the joys of Wick.....what do I have to look forward to??

As Victor would say: "It's a shitehole, jack!"

Wick is full of 99p stores, and shops with wooden curtains. The inhabitants have a kind of "desperate dan" jawline with much the same 5-o'clock shadow................... :?

And - the men are even worse! :shock:

Watch out for the Macaphees if you're out in the town at night.........

John O Groats - I wouldn't bother including it, to be honest.

Instead of Wick - turn off at Latheronwheel and take the Causewaymyre to Thurso. Go to Dunnet Head from there the next day. Thurso has a more cosmopolitan (as opposed to "inbred") population, and some reasonable eateries.

"The Red Pepper" is pretty good and consistant.

The Causewaymyre is an 80-90mph road with some great long sweepers and sections of ultra-smooth tarmac. Not much scenery on it, but don't get mesmerised by the wind turbines and run off the road :shock:

Have fun......................... (but stay out of Wick) :pukeleft:

(apologies to "Wicker" :oops: )

Al :thumbright:

See if that works .....

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:44 am

bikemad99 wrote:We went to Wick.It appeared that Scotland had its arsehole at the top.We didn`t stop.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Scottish Al

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:11 pm

StreetFlatTwin wrote:Then on via the north coast and all the way down the west coast via Ullapool to Dornie for the 2nd night. (260 miles) 3rd day is Applecross then return let to Glasgow

Errrr......last time I looked Applecross was north of Dornie :? So your riding past it then going back north the next day?

Sounds like a fabulous few days mind.................weather dependant!!

Enjoy

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:16 am

Well the deed is already done-I've booked a B&B in wick that has fantastic reviews (not one negative on trip advisor) and its cheap so I'll experience for myself the "joys" of Wick!!

Yeah we usually stay at Applecross but I planned the date with my weekend off (don't you just love shift work!!) and it turned out by chance to be the bank holiday weekend!! This Applecross inn is fully booked :( and my mates were firm-no camping!!

We have stayed at the Dornie hotel quite a few times in the past its clean(ish) (to be honest it's a bit tired but we don't mind) cheap and the food is fantastic and is directly across the road from Eilean Donan Castle which is nice for a stroll around after stuffing your face at dinner!!

If the weathers nice we can do Applecross from Doenie in the morning it's only about 35 miles each way!!

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:48 am

StreetFlatTwin wrote:Well the deed is already done-I've booked a B&B in wick that has fantastic reviews (not one negative on trip advisor) and its cheap so I'll experience for myself the "joys" of Wick!!

Yeah we usually stay at Applecross but I planned the date with my weekend off (don't you just love shift work!!) and it turned out by chance to be the bank holiday weekend!! This Applecross inn is fully booked :( and my mates were firm-no camping!!

We have stayed at the Dornie hotel quite a few times in the past its clean(ish) (to be honest it's a bit tired but we don't mind) cheap and the food is fantastic and is directly across the road from Eilean Donan Castle which is nice for a stroll around after stuffing your face at dinner!!

If the weathers nice we can do Applecross from Doenie in the morning it's only about 35 miles each way!!

You're gonna love it! :D

Dornie-Applecross is a long 35 miles, though. I like Dornie as a setting, not sure about places to stay there, though. A pal highly recommends Balmacarra Mains (and he's quite fussy) - not sure on pricing though.

Lovely area if the weather is good - have fun

Al :)

See if that works .....

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Yeah Al went to Applecross last year and was soooooooo lucky to hit the 2012 "heat wave"

The pass has never looked so good.....

http://youtu.be/dctrhuvGl4U

Return to “Days Out”