West Country Trip

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Twinspark

West Country Trip

Postby Twinspark » Mon May 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Made some last minute plans to take advantage of the weather this weekend.

We booked a last minute deal at the Elfordleigh Golf & Country club near Plymouth - which I'd recommend - great food, reasonable beer prices (Tribute Pale Ale was £3.10 / pint), and lovely rooms. Also a decent gym and pool / spa if that's your thing.

But the point of the trip was to get some miles on the BMW - we took the M5 down towards Exeter, but came off at Tiverton, then cut across Dartmoor to get to the hotel.

Today was an even better run - mile after mile of clear country road, taking the 'back roads' from Plymouth to Lynmouth.

We stopped off for lunch at the Watersmeet National Trust tea rooms, before the bloody awful drag via Minehead back to the M5. (I really hate that road - full of numpties who can barely keep a car on the road at 30mph, so it seems to take forever).

Route here if anyone is interested...

http://goo.gl/maps/GWwf3

Plus obligatory shot of Mrs TS and the 11S outside the hotel this morning.

Last edited by Twinspark on Mon May 06, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fucked Off!

Al

Postby Al » Mon May 06, 2013 10:14 pm

You picked a great w/end for the trip, best BH weather for ages. We covered some of the same tarmac ourselves today, we went to Plymouth to see my wifes brother and his new batch of labrador pups, we came back over the moor past where you stayed, had an ice cream at Burrator reservoir, a drink at the Two Bridges Hotel then a loop to watersmeet and back to the Dartmeet cafe for a snack then went via Asburton and the A38 back to a foggy Exmouth.
With the trip to Wales three weeks ago, a trip to Westbury on saturday to see a car and the trip today I have done more miles in a month than I did last year!! and my wife has done more on the back than in the previous 10 yrs.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Mon May 06, 2013 10:21 pm

It was indeed a great weekend of weather.

Had a minor moment of panic when my fuel pump started giving a high pitched whine whilst spilling fuel over my right boot.

30 mins fiddling in a pub car park found a partially unclipped union under the tank, which was clipped back together and we were on the road again with no further problems.

Next big trip is Germany in June... but I need to fettle a few things on the bike first.
Fucked Off!

Return to “Days Out”