Channel Tunnel

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

hobbit

Channel Tunnel

Postby hobbit » Thu May 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi all

Me and wife are trying our 1st euro tour about 1400 miles around France, due to the prices of ferry from 'ull we are going via Channel Tunnel, does any one know the arrangements for securing bikes on trip through, is it just leave it on side stand and in gear, or do i need to take a ratchet strap.

thanks very much

Gavin

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:54 pm

Just leave it on the side stand in gear as you have stated

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Thu May 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Cheers for that

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Thu May 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Cheers for that

Joe Bar

Postby Joe Bar » Thu May 16, 2013 6:34 pm

The Tunnel's quick and easy and the staff very efficient. They just have you run into the 'kerb', stick it in gear and drop it on the sidestand. There's no seats in the compartment, so it's just a case of leaning against the rail for the 30 minute trip.

Eurotunnel are pretty efficient and if you arrive early there's no need to wait for your train, they'll try and get you on an earlier one, no charge. Same if you're running late, don't panic they'll get you on the next available one. They operate a no charge policy 2 hours either way of your booked slot.

There's a large fuel station on the way out of the terminal in Calais, so no need to worry about filling up before the train.

Depending on your time of travel, I can recommend this place if you're looking for somewhere to stay near Calais on the way out or back - Hotel Bal - about 15 miles from the Tunnel.

I tend to travel over late afternoon, fill up at the service station on the way out of the terminal, stay at the Bal and then set of after breakfast next day, refreshed with a full tank. Works for me. :D

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu May 16, 2013 8:25 pm

Tunnel's great. :)

The last time we went down to FLASH PB and I took the tunnel early on fri morning in preference to the overnight ferry (on thurs night) from Portsmouth to Caen. Would do the same again no problem. And yes, the tunnel 'system' is very efficient. Quick, easy. :)

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Thu May 16, 2013 9:09 pm

THanks for replies, we are catching early morning train, staying at the Premier Inn just next to tunnel and 1st night in France in Rouen.

Must be something on the week we are away as the amount of accommodation available has been limited.

All accommodation has been booked just need to sort out routes now, will try Garmin base camp as start and then deviate from there.

Ferry from Hull (20 mins down road) was over £650 for 2 of us with cabin and food, tunnel is £74 return, so even allowing for accommodation etc, it will save over £350

Here's hoping on good weather.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 pm

hobbit wrote:Ferry from Hull (20 mins down road) was over £650 for 2 of us with cabin and food, tunnel is £74 return, so even allowing for accommodation etc, it will save over £350

Here's hoping on good weather.

Bloody hell! £650 :shock: A group of us are off to the Harz mountains in Germany next week, sailing from Hull on Sunday at a cost of £145 per head, I love sailing from Hull as I HATE the drag down the M6/M1/M25 to Dover, but I would put up with it if £650 was the alternative.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Fri May 17, 2013 6:46 am

Well matey, don't do as another guy we know did. He wheelied the damn GS all the way down the length of the train.

Usually bikes will be loaded last but on occasion they load them first as in the above case.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Fri May 17, 2013 11:25 am

I think that P and O charge by the cabin so, if there is 4 of you in cabin, then it does work to about £150 each, however its only me and wife so I am paying for everything, hence £650.

I am thinking of going to Harz mountains with a mate later on in summer so please post some pics.

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Fri May 17, 2013 11:25 am

I think that P and O charge by the cabin so, if there is 4 of you in cabin, then it does work to about £150 each, however its only me and wife so I am paying for everything, hence £650.

I am thinking of going to Harz mountains with a mate later on in summer so please post some pics.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri May 17, 2013 11:56 pm

hobbit wrote:I think that P and O charge by the cabin so, if there is 4 of you in cabin, then it does work to about £150 each, however its only me and wife so I am paying for everything, hence £650.

Gavin, Chunnel is good, Enjoy your adventure! We stayed in a little suburb to the west of Rouen called Martiny at a place called the Relais Hotel.There was a special room menu where one could order "massages". Our lass did comment on the male only contingent at dinner but all was good :lol:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat May 18, 2013 2:48 am

boxerscott wrote:
hobbit wrote:I think that P and O charge by the cabin so, if there is 4 of you in cabin, then it does work to about £150 each, however its only me and wife so I am paying for everything, hence £650.

Gavin, Chunnel is good, Enjoy your adventure! We stayed in a little suburb to the west of Rouen called Martiny at a place called the Relais Hotel.There was a special room menu where one could order "massages". Our lass did comment on the male only contingent at dinner but all was good :lol:

Do you still write to that Masseure, Chris? :shock:

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sat May 18, 2013 8:38 am

hobbit wrote:

I don't carry a camera anymore, but if any my my mates take any decent Pics I will post them up.

Cheers

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Sat May 18, 2013 8:58 am

I really struggle with channel crossings, as I'm in South Wales.

Portsmouth is the closest port - but P&O are expensive and LD are crap.

Plymouth is as far away as Dover.

Trouble with Portsmouth / Plymouth is they go to Le Havre or somewhere around that area - which isn't great if you're heading for Germany / Austria etc.

I don't like the drag over to Dover for the short ferry crossings / the tunnel - plus I'd end up having to book a hotel either before or after the crossing.

So... this summer, I've booked Harwich to Hook of Holland - it's not much further from here than Dover, but it gets us closer to where we want to be and saves us booking a hotel near the port.

There's something just right about kicking off the holiday with a couple of beers and some food on the ferry, then waking up on foreign soil.
Fucked Off!

Return to “Days Out”