Channel Tunnel

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Al

Postby Al » Sat May 18, 2013 10:51 am

Appreciate it easy for us as we can sleep anywhere we are able to stop but we are only 50 miles from plymouth but always go to Dover to cross in the camper as we only pay the same as a car, next week we are are paying £170 rtn with a flexi ticket, the same weeks from plymouth would be over £400 so even with extra fuel etc its still cheaper, unless you are going to stay in Brittany, different for the bike though, last year it was cheaper to take bike over than go as a foot passenger!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun May 19, 2013 2:30 pm

Using the tunnel when I go to Garmisch. The Hull crossing is far better than the North Shields crossing. Last time I used that it was a rip off with terrible food unless you used the mega bucks restaurant
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun May 19, 2013 2:40 pm

The Newcastle ferry used to be better food than the Hull one.

The Hull ferry served low-grade dogfood in their buffet restaurant, but last time we ate in the Langans Brassarie, and a two-course decent meal worked out much the same as the multi-course shite in the buffet.

The two buffets on the Newcastle ferry "used" to be brilliant, but I'll bear what you say - in mind.

Anyone else got recent experience of the buffets on the Newcastle/Ijmuiden ferry? We are using it in July - so a bit of forewarning would be good.

Cheers

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue May 21, 2013 1:44 am

Al, the all you can eat buffet and the "proper restaurant" were ok but last time I used DFDS I ate in the burger soup kitchen - £18 for burger and chips and an orange juice. The all you can eat on Hull - Rotterdam was superb with food constantly being freshly made
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue May 21, 2013 9:51 am

dave the german wrote:Al, the all you can eat buffet and the "proper restaurant" were ok but last time I used DFDS I ate in the burger soup kitchen - £18 for burger and chips and an orange juice. The all you can eat on Hull - Rotterdam was superb with food constantly being freshly made

£18 for a burger n chips!!!! :shock: what was it made of? Kobe beef dusted with fairy wings and unicorn shavings on a hand crafted bun of elf leavened dough ?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Vince

Postby Vince » Tue May 21, 2013 12:07 pm

Does anyone have a good reason why the Tunnel staff tell you to place the bike on side stand but facing the LH side (kerb) of the train?
Aside from they haven't a clue!

To my mind we should park on side stand but facing the RH side of the train, so any sudden deceleration from the train would lean the bike further against the stand and not away from it. Some bikes might be fully loaded and compressing suspension so side stand is not so stable as it is.

I was going to ask the staff last time, but wasn't convinced I'd get a sensible answer as he did seem to have a chip on his shoulder about something. maybe the fact that a bunch of us are going to be riding motorcycles around sunny France whilst he's still walking the compartments :lol:
\v/
2015 S1000rs
2007 R12r
2007 R1200RTSE
2005 R1200ST (2007~2009)
1996 VFR750FT (1996~2007)
1994 RF600 (1994~1996)
GPZ750
X7
DT175
TS50

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Tue May 21, 2013 12:18 pm

Vince

I hear what you say.

I used the chunnel once with my RSVR (notriously shit side stand) and spent the whole 30 minutes hovering next to the bike poised to grad hold if started to fall over. Bloody glad to get to the other side.

Alas your proposal to park to the right would not have helped with the Prilla as they invariably fell over to the left (usually due to a strong gust of wind) due to an almost vertical side stand!

Best just to sit on the bloody thing.

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed May 22, 2013 4:06 am

slparry wrote:
dave the german wrote:Al, the all you can eat buffet and the "proper restaurant" were ok but last time I used DFDS I ate in the burger soup kitchen - £18 for burger and chips and an orange juice. The all you can eat on Hull - Rotterdam was superb with food constantly being freshly made

£18 for a burger n chips!!!! :shock: what was it made of? Kobe beef dusted with fairy wings and unicorn shavings on a hand crafted bun of elf leavened dough ?

I think the recent contamination scare went back to 2008 when I was on sed ferry and it was shergar and chips hence the expense - bloody pedigree burgers
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Wed May 22, 2013 9:01 am

I'm a fan of the DFDS cheap-as-chips ferry from Dover to Dunkerque. Obviously they make their money from the trucks - and they do look after those boys. Discovered their restaurant serves better food, more of it and cheaper. How do I know this? Didn't see the 'truckies only' sign and got in the queue :) Once I realised (while eating) felt and probably looked guilty as sin. Didn't have the brass neck to avail myself of their lounge with big comfy chairs :oops:
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed May 22, 2013 11:06 am

dave the german wrote:
slparry wrote:

I think the recent contamination scare went back to 2008 when I was on sed ferry and it was shergar and chips hence the expense - bloody pedigree burgers

brings a whole new meaning to Pedigree Chum :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:I'm a fan of the DFDS cheap-as-chips ferry from Dover to Dunkerque. Obviously they make their money from the trucks - and they do look after those boys. Discovered their restaurant serves better food, more of it and cheaper. How do I know this? Didn't see the 'truckies only' sign and got in the queue :) Once I realised (while eating) felt and probably looked guilty as sin. Didn't have the brass neck to avail myself of their lounge with big comfy chairs :oops:

Might have to try that - if there's nothing about being with your truck on that particular ferry I could plead ignorance! (no comments please)
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Return to “Days Out”