Sunday at Jack's Hill, Towcester

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

oyster

Sunday at Jack's Hill, Towcester

Postby oyster » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:02 pm

Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:07 pm

oh man i'd love to be there. got a bbq in kent. away the whole weekend and committed now. that's a bummer.

oyster

Postby oyster » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:14 am

The agenda is now; Offley, Herts this afternoon; Jacks Hill, Towcester tomorrow. On my way shortly.

ned1

Postby ned1 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Thanks for that Oyster,
Hope to get to Jacks Sunday, looks good

Ned :wink:
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:05 pm

maybe getting there early for breakfast, see you there chaps.. :)

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:24 pm

some cracking bikes today, true Brits from the `ton-up` era, complete with oil puddles... :wink:

a couple of snaps here
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40007933@N04/
( I don`t seem to be able to post individual photos?..)

favorite of the day was a Kawasaki KH250, gorgeous... :oops: ...hardly in the spirit but it was nice.. :D
Nice morning, all sorts there (bikes.....and people.. :shock: ) nice breakfast but was defeated by the loud music after an hour, I felt like an extra in a Heartbeat episode...and I hate 60s music, :lol:

Steve

oyster

Postby oyster » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:06 pm

I had a great weekend on the bike. Up to a mate's in Hertfordshire; then on to the Offley bike rally for a couple of hours. Back to his for a takeaway, beer and a film. Up early Sunday for a three bike group ride through the lanes north to Towcester. Fantastic breakfast at the biker friendly Super Sausage Cafe, Potterspury, a few miles before Jack's Hill Cafe, A5. Began to fill up with nostalgia overload at the sheer number of old British bikes at the meet. Lots of Triumphs, old and new; half a dozen proper Nortons, a couple of Vincents ( there were at least six Vincents at the Cars on the Green, Harpenden last year) and I particularly liked the display of BSA in front of the main building. Good old rock'n roll music playing and the constant rumble of noisy bikes. Bliss! I was most pleased, my fuel consumption got progressively better, up to 11 miles per litre.

ned1

Postby ned1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Had a good time looking round the bikes and wondering how many hours they must spend
cleaning them, a credit to the owners.

ps Had a triumph Bonneville many years ago which was like riding a jack hammer [smilie=biker.gif]

pps oyster do you know the date for "cars on the Green", Harpenden
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport

Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:11 pm

ned1 wrote:Had a good time looking round the bikes and wondering how many hours they must spend
cleaning them, a credit to the owners.

ps Had a triumph Bonneville many years ago which was like riding a jack hammer [smilie=biker.gif]

pps oyster do you know the date for "cars on the Green", Harpenden

We had one in P/X (almost new circa 81) when I was looking after one of my Kawasaki dealerships, I had to take it out to see what it was like. It was the worst thing I'd ever ridden, gutless, handled like a pig, lousy brakes (I mean what IDIOT put soft chrome on the cast discs!!!) and when I got back to the shop it had vibrated the hands off my watch. Up until the 1600 HD I hired in the USA once it was the worst thing I'd ridden, now it and the HD share that position. Which somehow seems "right" given that the general public seem to see HD and Bonnevilles as icons of motorcycling
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm

The 750 bonnie's could be made into decent bikes but from the factory they were pretty dire the best thing to do with them was a complete rebuild get the crank balanced and machined to take roller bearings then have the big ends ground all the faces of the crank cases needed machining flat then once you got the motor back together you would fit a Boyer ignition system and then Bosh spark plugs
Some of my mates are still running 70's bonnie's today I think all have had that work done on their bikes

But having that work done cost big money you could have bought a Z1 and had change and the bike would have been on the road the whole time your bonnie was being rebuilt

I still think that the British bike industry could have been saved if they had developed the 350 dohc engines they were working on at the end of the 70's
Also i feel if the rocket three motor had been put into the late comando frame they could have had a winner

Note i said rocket three motor not the trident lump the rocket three was a prettier motor and with the more angled barrels would have been more suited to tuning
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

oyster

Postby oyster » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:24 am

Cars on the Green at Harpenden, Herts. Wednesday pm 31 July 2013. A nightmare for cars trying to drive through the town or to park, not so bad for bikes. I got there at tea time last year, it was hot and sunny. Lovely evening.
http://www.classicsonthecommon.com/news.php

Return to “Days Out”