The Ring of Red Around the M25

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

The Ring of Red Around the M25

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:51 pm

http://ringofredm25.webs.com/

The Basic Idea is to get a ring of riders wearinf Red and Poppies to encicle teh slow lane of the M25 on undat 10th November.

I am not trying to organise this but just passing on the fact that the event is happening.

May be a big event if it conmes off do you want to say I was there? :P
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

slparry

Re: The Ring of Red Around the M25

Postby slparry » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:02 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:http://ringofredm25.webs.com/

The Basic Idea is to get a ring of riders wearinf Red and Poppies to encicle teh slow lane of the M25 on undat 10th November.

I am not trying to organise this but just passing on the fact that the event is happening.

May be a big event if it conmes off do you want to say I was there? :P

Great idea, hope it really takes off!
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Whilst I can see why some may want to do it.

Don't, just don't.

The M25 is a horrible place to be at the best of times - no matter how good the cause, doing that will just bring utter misery to anyone needing to use the M25 that day.
Fucked Off!

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:25 pm

Despite Twinsparks message of doom and Gloom :twisted: The day went well there was as far as I know no hold ups, no accidents and all the car drivers I encountered seemed unfazed by it all. I saw no-one riding badly and no car drivers getting impatient.

Some of our club members decided to ride the whole way round but I personally (and some of our other memeber) did from the M11 to Clackett Lane services which was far enough to get the job done.

I suspect that this will become an annual event and would, with more publicity raise even more cash for the Poppy Appeal.

Most bikers would , if asked, chuck a pound in a bucket just to take part - that could have raised £10k or £15k on Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-24889804
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:30 pm

Serving and past members of the forces seem to think it was a bit tacky and Costa Coffee made more out of the day than the British Legion!

Seemed to be organised by a bunch of idiots, too.

'We're contacting Google to get a satellite photo'

:lol:
Fucked Off!

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:57 pm

Looks like a great success. I,d imagine it will grow in size as the word spreads. Good on anyone who took part.
kernow,the last bit

Doctor Hfuhruhuhr

Postby Doctor Hfuhruhuhr » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 am

Twinspark,you need to find the right side of the bed to get out of

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 am

Attention whoring of the worst kind.

Just as you can always spot an idiot from a 'Help for Heroes' sticker in their car's rear window (usually sported by some knuckle dragging, tattooed ape) - you will now also be able to spot them for riding around the M25 trying to demonstrate they're more respectful for fallen soldiers than those who don't take part.
Fucked Off!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 am

Twinspark wrote:Attention whoring of the worst kind.

Just as you can always spot an idiot from a 'Help for Heroes' sticker in their car's rear window (usually sported by some knuckle dragging, tattooed ape) - you will now also be able to spot them for riding around the M25 trying to demonstrate they're more respectful for fallen soldiers than those who don't take part.

I really thought, for the most part, folk on this forum would have a bit more nouse than to post this sort of drivel, especially at this time of the year. I was clearly wrong.

Disagree with the event by all means, but calling 'Help For Heroes' folk 'knuckle-dragging apes?' (you said 'usually' which implies the majority of them) I'm sure the vast number of ex-Forces folk round here would love to know you've said that about them.

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:25 am

Twinspark wrote:Attention whoring of the worst kind.

Steve, you're barking up a very wrong tree, as I've said before this isn't UKRM with all the nasty chest puffing and crap that goes on there (thankfully).

Laugh or sneer all you want at the well intentioned fundraising efforts but whether to your tastes or not, as I understand it there's talk of it raising £15,000 or so, and the positive of demonstrating support to a group of professionals that have and are daily putting their lives on the line to protect you and I from some very unpleasant alternatives.

To sneer at the HfH organisation is a bit under the belt as they offer genuine help for those men and women who have served their country, when seemingly the Government often shy off from their responsibility. Yes it can get a bit overly patriotic at times, but that's not a bad thing.

Unless you've served in the armed forces in the defence of this country and its way of life, I don't think any of us have gained the right to whinge, some of the support efforts you may not find to your tastes but don't decry those who are making the effort, especially when you're not offering an alternative yourself?

rant over, now let's not fall out over this eh :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

mh374

Postby mh374 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 pm

Hi, I am very new to this forum. I have no tattoos, I have served my country and my son appears in this video. He is currently on his second tour to Afghanistan.

http://www.bfbs.com/news/war-poem-fallen-64916.html

Shame on you Twinspark.

[/list]

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Help for Heroes does do some good work - but the fact is that it's also a charity that appears to have links to more unpleasant right-wing organisations, too - many HfH supporters are of the EDL inclination - essentially they've hijacked a genuine organisation for their political gain.

Feel free to criticise my stand on the whole tacky 'Ring of Red', too - I'm more than comfortable with the charity days I attend where, not only do we raise significant money for a couple of forces PTSD charities - we also give returning forces members experiences to remember (ie. passenger runs in exotic and not so exotic cars on track days).

The 'Diana-fication' of Armistice Day is not to be applauded.
Fucked Off!

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:47 am

mh374 wrote:Hi, I am very new to this forum. I have no tattoos,

Do you have a motorcycle?

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

mh374

Postby mh374 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:00 am

Blackal wrote:
mh374 wrote:Hi, I am very new to this forum. I have no tattoos,

Do you have a motorcycle?

Al

Er yes, a nice BMW, ta.

mh374

Postby mh374 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:34 pm

No idea who Blackal is, although he seems to be a touch aggressive in his dealings with some people.

I have owned as far as i can remember a Suzuki TS 100ERN, a Kawasaki KE175 KL250, Suzuki GT200X5, Kawasaki GPZ 550 ( twice). Kawasaki 1000J and Z1R. Yamaha XJ 650. Suzuki X7. Honda XL 250 and XL 500. Suzuki PE175. Suzuki XN85. Suzuki GSX1100ESD. BMW R80 and K100. Kawasaki GPZ 500 / 750. Yamaha DT 125MX. Honda CB 250RS. Kawasaki ZR750.
and now a R1100s....plus other bikes that have slipped my mind.

I obviously submit myself to his greater experience and abilities.

P.S. Apart from the wrecked R1.... Lol

Return to “Days Out”