Yorkshire Trixter Weekend: 26-28th Sept

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:12 am

Beginning to read like.......................

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:17 am

I'll be James Garner.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:28 am

f90x wrote:
Dog Tyred wrote:
f90x wrote:Yeah. Looks like a nice route. I would have liked that.

:? Well I deffo saw you there at Hawes first thing in the morning. What went wrong?

DT

I might be incorrect here, but as I understand it the marker at the first junction as we left Hawes did not wait for the last few and the tail end Charlie. Consequently those last few didn't take the turn and Archie TEC realised hey had missed the turning and raced off to gather them up. I waited at the third junction as I was marker and waited for half an hour or so then rode back a couple of miles to see if anyone was broken down but then went back along the route and found Jonny5 at the next junction where he had been waiting half an hour or more. We then picked up a guy (sorry don't know his name) on an RT who had been waiting 45 mins. We then got to the next junction and no-one was there. (Understandable as by now they would have been waiting an hour plus.

Now, if I am incorrect about the first marker moving off then I apologise but this is how I understand it went down. There are lessons to be learnt here. It's not the end of the world but obviously some of us had a bit of a rubbish day. We were in an area of which we have no knowledge and although one can stumble across some great roads it's not the same as knowing where one is going.

Getting out of Hawes was particularly sticky so it was clear that it was going to take a little while for us all to get out. However, the first junction was less than two minutes out of the village so it wouldn't have taken 'that' long to wait for everyone to pass. We must ALL take note of who the Tail End Charlie is and make sure we see them pass us when we are the marker and if they don't arrive then make our way back to see what's happened. (They might be broken down or worse)

Like I say, apologies if I am incorrect and ultimately it's not the end of the world but I for one had a 600 mile round motorway trip, two nights accommodation and only got 40 minutes of the ride. It shouldn't be like that.

It was nice to meet some new folk though and I enjoyed riding with Jonny5 and his incredibly enthusiastic wife Clair. Top people and I love that TL.

Gutted for you Steve. The drop-off system is great when it works but a disaster when it doesn't. How hard can it be to stay at 'your' junction until TEC arrives. With all the 'visitors' that seem to come along to each event these days maybe a more inclusive briefing of the system may have prevented this. It is incumbent on all those that bring a 'visitor' along to fully explain the system, assuming they know it of course.

I have always thought it wise to issue a copy of the proposed route, even if only with the stop points and approx. times noted so any stragglers (or people who miss marked junctions as I did a couple of years ago in Settle :oops: ) can try to meet up later in the route.

In all the years I have been coming to these ride-outs I think this is only the second time it has gone wrong so on the whole it works well.

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:16 am

I guess it serves me right for being able to keep up with PB. However, my guess is he was only riding at five tenths in order for me to do that :( That boy knows how to ride.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:32 am

f90x wrote:I guess it serves me right for being able to keep up with PB. However, my guess is he was only riding at five tenths in order for me to do that :( That boy knows how to ride.

Now I'm confused? If you were riding behind PB at some point I assume you caught up with the ride at some point. In fact I seem to recall you marking a junction in the afternoon??

DT
Last edited by Dog Tyred on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

2002 BCR

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:37 am

[quote="Gromit"]

ImageDSCF1212

Good job I cleaned it on Friday night :D

Not to bad for a 12 year old

DT

2002 BCR

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:
f90x wrote:I guess it serves me right for being able to keep up with PB. However, my guess is he was only riding at five tenths in order for me to do that :( That boy knows how to ride.

Now I'm confused? If you were riding behind PB at some point I assume you caught up with the ride at some point. In fact I seem to recall you marking a junction in the afternoon??

DT

Nope. I was in the front group at the start. Everyone In Front of me at junction two stopped (probably to avoid being next marker) I passed three or four bikes there and became second rider behind PB and caught the next junction which was number three. This was at about 10.20 and I made a point of looking at my clock to see how long it would take for everyone to go past.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:51 pm

f90x wrote: This was at about 10.20 and I made a point of looking at my clock to see how long it would take for everyone to go past.

That was your first mistake!!

I understand now.

DT

2002 BCR

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 pm

f90x wrote:
Dog Tyred wrote:
f90x wrote:Yeah. Looks like a nice route. I would have liked that.

:? Well I deffo saw you there at Hawes first thing in the morning. What went wrong?

DT

I might be incorrect here, but as I understand it the marker at the first junction as we left Hawes did not wait for the last few and the tail end Charlie. Consequently those last few didn't take the turn and Archie TEC realised hey had missed the turning and raced off to gather them up. I waited at the third junction as I was marker and waited for half an hour or so then rode back a couple of miles to see if anyone was broken down but then went back along the route and found Jonny5 at the next junction where he had been waiting half an hour or more. We then picked up a guy (sorry don't know his name) on an RT who had been waiting 45 mins. We then got to the next junction and no-one was there. (Understandable as by now they would have been waiting an hour plus.

Now, if I am incorrect about the first marker moving off then I apologise but this is how I understand it went down. There are lessons to be learnt here. It's not the end of the world but obviously some of us had a bit of a rubbish day. We were in an area of which we have no knowledge and although one can stumble across some great roads it's not the same as knowing where one is going.

Getting out of Hawes was particularly sticky so it was clear that it was going to take a little while for us all to get out. However, the first junction was less than two minutes out of the village so it wouldn't have taken 'that' long to wait for everyone to pass. We must ALL take note of who the Tail End Charlie is and make sure we see them pass us when we are the marker and if they don't arrive then make our way back to see what's happened. (They might be broken down or worse)

Like I say, apologies if I am incorrect and ultimately it's not the end of the world but I for one had a 600 mile round motorway trip, two nights accommodation and only got 40 minutes of the ride. It shouldn't be like that.

It was nice to meet some new folk though and I enjoyed riding with Jonny5 and his incredibly enthusiastic wife Clair. Top people and I love that TL.
Without getting into a blame game I think there may be another way of looking at this, the first junction is 250 metres from muster straight up the hill, if everyone was ready to go when PB hit the starter and the last few arrived at junction without marker, which was me by the way, why not wait for tec Alan to come along and mop up? as was said, in an area that you do not know why would you just guess at which way to go? I may be mistaken and I will be the first to hold my hand up and apologise for my oversight but I believe a solitary" KTM" with topbox passed me on the junction then pulled over to let me by. I thought this odd but never gave it a second thought. Having said that, I am still disappointed that the weekend did not live up to expectations for some that have made a great effort to get to Yorkshire (and by all accounts it was a grim slog on our major routes) but a problem at the first junction is only one factor why the group got so stretched and people displaced. People organize these events voluntarily and I for one do not want to get petty but as it was mentioned that the" first" marker may be to blame then silence from me would indicate fault.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:22 pm

Guys i should have produced a route for you but failed to do so, partially because was so busy at work. Lesson learned and if any of you get up this way give me a shout and i'll happily take you round some of our brilliant roads for a day.

I really enjoyed leading and watching a number of you ride. I get a great deal of pleasure out of keeping the gap constant and riding to the person behind... makes it far more enjoyable for those behind and also keeps you sharp.

Sorry for those who came for the trip and got a short day. If asked to lead again i will ensure there is a route printed and handed out
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 am

Paul,please do not blame yourself.In my 14yrs of going on,& leading Boxertrix runs I have never seen a written route.The problems arise when the drop off system is not adhered to.Simples.... If the 2nd man does not mark the junction or decides to leave before the tail end man arrives,it all goes" tits up " I did not have a problem,I sat behind Peter all day.(In the Jag.)

:oops:

Reg.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:00 am

bikemad99 wrote:I did not have a problem,I sat behind Peter all day.(In the Jag.)
Reg.

That's just typical of some people :wink:

shame we missed the weekend, mind you we could've really cocked it up lol :shock:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:05 pm

Bollox :evil:

Returned home this evening to find an SP30 sitting on the matt!

Phone call from my brother 10 minutes later to tell me he's got one in exactly the same location!!

DT
Last edited by Dog Tyred on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2002 BCR

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:18 pm

*rse!! :shock:

Where was it Greg?

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Gromit wrote:*rse!! :shock:

Where was it Greg?

He said - "on the mat"......... :roll:

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Days Out”