The sun is out

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

tanneman

The sun is out

Postby tanneman » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:25 pm

Got up this morning with the intention of going out on the bike for a quiet ride on the country roads. Thought I could fit in a few errands whilst I'm out and about. First thing though is to fill up with some proper fuel and the Shell garage is some way out of town. That done I made a detour to Bedford Autodrome where a few of the lads were doing a track day. Needless to say that my arm was twisted to do the rest of the day for a lot less. Back home, got dressed, prepared the bike at the track and enjoyed the rest of the day. Well what can I say. Brilliant machine but there where no slouches in the intermediate group and I had to work hard to keep up. I say you can always tell the owner by the state of his bike. There were some real rags in the pits. A lot of numpties in the fast group which was red flagged every session. I must say that I really enjoy riding the 11S. Since I have converted it to take the BCR mirrors getting it ready for track time is a 5 minute job. I also know now that it will do a 100 miles on track before running out of happy juice.

My observation for today was just how easy it is to go fast on a jap litre bike. I mean some guys were not particular fast in the corners but when they open the taps the thing just disappears until the next corner when you stare at the 180 rear section in front of you, wondering how to get past. I know I shouldn't get the hump but I did today.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:40 pm

I know people who ride like that on the road, real heros in a straight line. Its just the twisty bits they have problems with, so even the fanciest bike cant compensate for their lack of talent.anyway , sounds like you had fun and il bet a great deal more satisfaction on your boxer. :)
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:34 pm

I ride a bit more conservative on the road, more old man than squid. The problem of a slower rider on track is the closing speed in mid corner. While he may be unaware of you behind him he can change his line more easily than you. It may also be an indication of a less experienced rider and they are not consistent in the corners, so best avoided to try any overtaking manoeuvres while lent over. I'm quite happy to follow my mates closely as we know how each other ride.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Return to “Days Out”