Caldwell Park July

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Britisherspy

Caldwell Park July

Postby Britisherspy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Well I just booked the 2 day track day with ixion there.

I think I will need the Wilbers tweaking a bit so a trip to Revs racing will have to be booked.

Has anyone fitted track day tyres to their R 1100S before? I have a set of Dunlop NTEC scrubs that are going spare. The rear is a 190 60 17 so I dunno if it will fit my bike. (Already run a 180 55 17)

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:33 pm

When is that? Might be interested in popping along as its local. Even just to watch is great there. My 1200S was a blast round there

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:07 pm

its 14 and 15 July

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:49 am

Talking of tyres I have used pair of Metz M3's sitting in the garage (rear is a 180). Not badly squared off but took them off before a trip to the south of France. Couldn't bring myself to throw them away as they are very serviceable but now have decided to get rid. Yours if you want them for TD tyres?

Let me know either way.

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:41 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:Talking of tyres I have used pair of Metz M3's sitting in the garage (rear is a 180). Not badly squared off but took them off before a trip to the south of France. Couldn't bring myself to throw them away as they are very serviceable but now have decided to get rid. Yours if you want them for TD tyres?

Let me know either way.

DT

Hi Greg, thats very decent of you - I could pu them on for the TD then?

Remind me of your phone number in a PM and I'll collect the weekend - do you prefer red or white?

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:46 pm

Britisherspy wrote:
Dog Tyred wrote:Talking of tyres I have used pair of Metz M3's sitting in the garage (rear is a 180). Not badly squared off but took them off before a trip to the south of France. Couldn't bring myself to throw them away as they are very serviceable but now have decided to get rid. Yours if you want them for TD tyres?

Let me know either way.

DT

Hi Greg, thats very decent of you - I could pu them on for the TD then?

Remind me of your phone number in a PM and I'll collect the weekend - do you prefer red or white?

You have a PM
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:45 pm

I stuck with the Avon Storm ST's on the bike, I had a new rear so that went on. I found a post on here that suggested 29/33 pressures so thats what I used. Cadwell was and is great - I really liked it but its very challenging.

I put myself into novices as although I've done around 12 TD's before, it was a 1st for me here and on the S.
Pace was fine in this group as it was pretty quick, only a couple of real novices tiptoeing around. Most sessions I barely saw anyone either to pass or be passed. There were around 4/5 quick enough to pass me after about 4 laps and one or 2 passed me twice in the same time.

As this was 2 days here I built it up slowly and on the second day was confident enough to put on the coals - only after 2 laps to warm up though.

Sadly I hit someones oil on the top of Chris Curve, the rear stepped out a lot, I though I was going down but ran onto the grass and had plenty of room to slow down very gently and remembered not to try to turn till I was stopped. Got back on the track just in time for them to red flag it anyway for someone else.

I seemed to run out of revs pretty easily and couldnt really get the right gear or was too lazy to change up. The bike still suffers badly with brake judder as well so I couldnt use hard braking either. Still, I was running well in the group, no massive high speeds, around 120 was my top speed up Park Straight.

Tyres did well, no problems apart from the oil which was covered in cement dust next session.

Gearbox complained a few times as I must be more firm with the upshifting, got a few neutrals.

So although it was good fun, I dont think the S is any kind of TD bike, a cheapo 600cc IL4 would kill it everywhere.

Britisherspy

Postby Britisherspy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:48 am

There was a Boxercup parked up on the Thursday - anyone off here?

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:42 am

Clean!

Did you notice the mileage?

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Days Out”