Europe tour advice

Want to hook up with like-minded folk? Anything from a cup o'tea at the Ace to trips abroad.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dave the german

Re: Europe tour

Postby dave the german » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:23 am

+1 for Post Office credit card - make sure it's the platinum card - you can purchase currency in UK commission free and all purchases abroad are also commission free - fuel, toll, meals
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

watsondesign

Postby watsondesign » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:50 am

WOW!

Im blown away with all your responses. Thank you soo much. I finally got the service parts ordered yesterday so I should be on the right track to have everything ready.

Plan hasnt been finalised yet but we should be headding across the sea to france, down through Belgium and France towards Switzerland where will be based on the Swiss / Italy border which will have some amazing passes, up through Austria and then Germany. Finally heading towards Amasterdam and then back home! I cant wait!!

Just need some panniers now, any reconmendations?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:25 am

http://reussirpermis.com/wp-content/upl ... droite.jpg

When you are riding through France (I assume you will be) and not on Auto routes look out for this sign it is important. It means that anyone coming out of a side road from your right can just pull out in front of you even if your road is the bigger of the two - if you are in the countryside this may mean tractors or Gaulois smoking French farmers in 2CV's do 10 mph. Sometimes the sign may also say "Priorite a droit".

Watch out for them they can even be where farm tracks join a road. Enjoy your trip.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 am

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:http://reussirpermis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/priorite-a-droite.jpg

When you are riding through France (I assume you will be) and not on Auto routes look out for this sign it is important. It means that anyone coming out of a side road from your right can just pull out in front of you even if your road is the bigger of the two - if you are in the countryside this may mean tractors or Gaulois smoking French farmers in 2CV's do 10 mph. Sometimes the sign may also say "Priorite a droit".

Watch out for them they can even be where farm tracks join a road. Enjoy your trip.

Get_Your_Priority_Right_500_xn.jpg
Get_Your_Priority_Right_500_xn.jpg (94.84 KiB) Viewed 14070 times

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:48 am

Lots of good info in this thread. I've made it into a "sticky" topic so it stays at the top of the topic listings, and moved it from Boxertech to "Days Out", since it's about travel.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

fontana

Postby fontana » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:42 pm

Isn't there also some strange law about having hi viz stickers on your lid.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:50 pm

fontana wrote:Isn't there also some strange law about having hi viz stickers on your lid.

You can get a kit but I've never bothered and it "seems" they don't enforce it
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm

dave the german wrote:
fontana wrote:Isn't there also some strange law about having hi viz stickers on your lid.

You can get a kit but I've never bothered and it "seems" they don't enforce it

Not Hi Viz - reflective - seemed like a good idea in any event it you ride at night in unlit areas - and less than or about £3 a set off flea bay
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:38 pm

Shark helmets manufactured in France all come with the reflective kit in the box along with instructions on where they must be fitted!
10 KTM RC8

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:09 pm

excellent info, handy as I'm going on first long trip on me 11S as well soon

Assen moto GP then down to the mecca of petrol heads, nurberg ring(cant spell) :D

cheers all :D

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:26 am

stevesilver wrote:excellent info, handy as I'm going on first long trip on me 11S as well soon

Assen moto GP then down to the mecca of petrol heads, nurberg ring(cant spell) :D

Excellent stuff. You calling into Spa 'for a butchers' on your way to 'The Ring' ?
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

stevesilver

Postby stevesilver » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:59 pm

BoxerCup R wrote:
stevesilver wrote:excellent info, handy as I'm going on first long trip on me 11S as well soon

Excellent stuff. You calling into Spa 'for a butchers' on your way to 'The Ring' ?

Would be rude not too..... :D

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:29 am

stevesilver wrote:
BoxerCup R wrote:

Would be rude not too..... :D

Top man :bounce: 8)
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Return to “Days Out”